Ritzy Chicken Casserole: a family favorite recipe with creamy shredded chicken baked under a buttery Ritz cracker topping! This quick and easy comfort food dish is ready for the oven in only a few minutes! After all, who doesn’t love a good chicken casserole, right?
Casseroles are one of my most favorite meals to make! Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they offer so many variations, flavors, and more! They are one of those meals perfect for any occasion and typically, can be prepped ahead of time! Some of our go to casseroles are my Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake, King Ranch Chicken Casserole, and even my Chicken Teriyaki Casserole!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Uses simple ingredients– this casserole uses simple pantry ingredients that you most likely already have on hand! Quick, easy, and budget friendly
- Packed with flavor– comfort food at its finest with a creamy chicken layer topped with a golden, buttery cracker topping
- Can be prepped ahead of time– save on time and prepare this casserole in the morning. Come dinnertime, simply pop into the oven and dinner is ready in no time
- Freezer Friendly– whether you choose to freeze this before baking, or place the leftovers in the freezer, this meal is the ultimate freezer friendly dish
Ingredients Needed for Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
See printable recipe card below for exact measurements and directions.
- Cream of Chicken Soup– you can also use cream of mushroom or celery if you don’t have cream of chicken on hand
- Sour Cream– this adds to the tangy creaminess in the casserole
- Green Onions– though they are little, they add such a burst of flavor throughout
- Salt/Pepper– to taste
- Onion/Garlic Powder– you can also use fresh minced garlic and chopped onions in place of the powder
- Chicken– cooked, shredded chicken, Rotisserie chicken works great in this casserole
- Corn– I use one can of corn to get some veggies in, feel free to use peas, broccoli, or carrots instead
- Ritz Crackers– you’ll want to crush two sleeves of Ritz crackers
- Butter– melted, this combined with the crushed crackers to make the tasty topping
- Use cream of celery or mushroom in place of the cream of chicken soup
- Add in some fresh Herbs such as chives, parsley, Oregano, etc.
- Change up the veggie to fit desired taste. Just be sure to cook veggie first if using frozen.
- Rotisserie chicken saves on time versus having to cook and shred your chicken.
- Goldfish, potato chips, club crackers, or saltines can be used in place of the Ritz if desired (it WILL change the taste a bit, but works)
- Canned chicken works in place of Rotisserie or shredded. Use 24 oz.
How to make Ritzy Chicken Casserole
This is an overview of the instructions. For complete directions for this easy chicken casserole, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and combine the cream of chicken, sour cream, green onions, and seasonings in a bowl,
- Add in the chicken and veggies stirring until all is combined.
- Pour chicken mixture prepared baking dish (9×13).
- Crush the Ritz crackers and place in a small bowl with melted butter.
- Stir to combine using a fork.
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture evenly on top of the chicken mixture and place pan into preheated oven to bake for about 25-35 minutes, or until topping gets golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
- Remove casserole from oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
How to make Slow Cooker Ritz Chicken Casserole
If you want to make this tasty chicken casserole recipe in the slow cooker, follow these simple instructions!
- Spray slow cooker pan with non stick cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Place the chicken mixture onto bottom of slow cooker and sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers topping evenly on top.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours, or high for about 3-4 hours.
- Scoop out desired portions and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I cover this casserole with aluminum foil?
No, there is no need to cover with aluminum foil unless the topping starts browning too fast.
Can I freeze this casserole?
Yes! You can assemble this ahead of time and place in the freezer for up to 3 months!
How do I add even more flavor to my chicken casserole?
Adding more spices and seasonings will enhance the flavor to fit desired tastes. Fresh herbs are best, but dried works too!
What if my casserole starts turning too brown while baking?
Simply place a piece of aluminum foil on top until casserole is finished baking as this will keep it from browning too much.
How to store Ritzy Chicken Casserole
- Refrigerator– place leftovers in an airtight container once fully cooled and store for up to 4 days.
- Freezer– place leftovers in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheating Instructions– if frozen, allow to thaw overnight. Reheat leftovers in microwave or oven. If oven, this will keep the topping crispy and delicious. The microwave will resort in a soggy topping, but still flavorful!
Serving Suggestions for Ritzy Chicken Casserole
Since this casserole includes a protein and veggie, technically, it can be served on its own! However, I love to add some veggies on the side such as my Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus or Cheesy Zucchini Casserole!
More Chicken Casserole Recipes to try
Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Bake– a quick and easy family dinner idea! Enjoy diced chicken, coated in a creamy Parmesan mayonnaise sauce, baked to perfection.
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole– the perfect meal for busy work nights! Using only a few ingredients, this can be ready to go in no time! Comfort food at its finest!
Forgotten Chicken– a super easy, delicious dinner recipe! Chicken breasts, rice, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, and Lipton onion soup mix. Creamy, savory, and absolutely delicious!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole– comfort food at its finest! A one pan, cheesy meal that the entire family will enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Casserole– give classic chicken pot pie a makeover with this fun and irresistible Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Casserole—ready for the oven in 15 minutes!
Easy Ritzy Chicken Casserole
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.5 oz
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup green onions *chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups chicken *cooked and shredded
- 1 can corn *drained, 8.75 oz
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers *crushed
- 1/2 cup butter *melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green onions, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Add in the chicken and corn (or veggie of choosing).
- Pour chicken mixture into greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the Ritz crackers with melted butter.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of chicken.
- Place chicken casserole into preheated oven and bake for about 25-35 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
- Remove casserole from the oven and allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.