Easy Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a delightful, low-carb dish made with fresh zucchini, squash, shredded cheese, and flavorful seasonings. This gluten-free recipe is a simple and wholesome way to enjoy the abundance of summer squash, making it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a healthy side dish option.
Low-Carb Zucchini Casserole
This easy, cheesy zucchini bake is a great way to use up that extra zucchini or squash you may have on hand. Whether you garden and find yourself with way too much on hand, or catch a great sale on the produce at your local grocery store, this simple dish requires only about 10 minutes of prep time!
You may also hear this Summery veggie casserole referred to as Zucchini Gratin! It is gluten free, low-carb, and keto friendly, which makes this a favorite no matter your diet!
Ingredients Needed for Easy Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
See printable recipe card below for exact ingredient amounts and step by step directions.
- Zucchini– cut into half moon slices, look for firm flesh and smooth, dark skin
- Yellow Squash– cut into half moon slices
- Basil– chopped
- Green Onion– chopped
- Garlic Powder– you can also use fresh minced
- Mozzarella Cheese– shredded
- Parmesan Cheese– shredded, avoid the green can for this recipe
- Salt/Pepper– to taste
Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t have both zucchini and yellow squash on hand, use whichever one you have on hand, even if it’s just one type going into this casserole.
- Change up the cheeses to fit your tastes, cheddar and/or Swiss works great in this.
- Add in diced onion. Either raw or sauteed.
- Try adding Panko Breadcrumbs to the top of this flavorful zucchini dish!
How to make Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
This healthy zucchini side dish is a family favorite and perfect to make quickly on busy weeknights!
- In a medium bowl- combine the zucchini, squash, Basil, green onion, garlic powder, 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Place- mixture into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake- for 30 minutes in a preheated oven, 350.
- Remove pan- from oven and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Return pan- to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove- and serve!!
This Summer Squash Casserole is great served as a side dish to any protein you make! Something simple like Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken, Baked Pork Chops, or even our homemade, juicy burgers! It also pairs perfectly with a salad and can be served on its own anytime of the day! I love bringing this dish to potlucks or picnics along with my Chopped Caprese Salad.
How to store Leftovers
To store leftovers, allow the casserole to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can enjoy the leftovers cold, or reheat using the microwave in 30 second increments. Unfortunately, freezing leftovers is not recommended due to the fact that zucchini holds a lot of water in it and when it thaws, most of that releases leaving a soggy, wet tasting casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I double this recipe?
Absolutely! Use a 9×13 baking pan and double the ingredients. Bake time stays the same.
Why is my Zucchini Casserole watery?
Add a sprinkle of salt to the top prior to baking if you notice a lot of moisture. You can also place casserole under broiler at the end of the bake time for a few minutes, or sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top to absorb the moisture.
Do I need to peel my zucchini before adding to this casserole?
Nope! No need to peel first. Simply wash the vegetables and slice into the casserole.
Can I freeze this casserole?
Unfortunately, no! Zucchini has too much water in it and when thawing, it releases the moisture which makes the leftovers too soupy/soggy.
What should I serve with this wholesome zucchini recipe?
I love serving this meal during the Spring/Summer months when grilling season is in full swing! We pair our zucchini casserole with Garlic Herb Chicken Kabobs, Bruschetta Chicken, or just about any grilling item you can think of!
More Zucchini Recipes
Chicken and Zucchini Casserole– a family friendly meal that is a great way to use up zucchini from the garden! Simple to make and packed with flavor, you’ll definitely want to add this to your meal plan!
Mom’s Zucchini Bread– moist and delicious quick bread, flavored with walnuts (optional) and cinnamon! Makes a great breakfast or snack option!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread– a family-friendly breakfast, snack, or dessert that incorporates a secret serving of veggies and brings the chocolatey flavor!
Banana Squash Bread– combines the natural sweetness of bananas with the rich flavor of squash. This easy-to-make quick bread is a delicious anytime treat!
Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread– combines cinnamon, sugar, and zucchini into a quick bread that everyone will love!
Easy Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 2 zucchini *cut into half moon slices
- 2 squash *cut into half moon slices
- 4 tablespoon Basil *chopped
- 2 tablespoon green onion *sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese *shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan *shredded
- salt/pepper *to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, squash, Basil, green onion, garlic powder, 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Place mixture into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven, 350.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Return pan to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve!!
Recipe updated 11/3/21