All the flavors of classic Bruschetta, on top of a grilled chicken breast. Packed with flavor, simple to prepare, and makes a fabulous, healthy dinner choice!!
If you have followed this blog for a while, you know that I am a terrible gardener. I don’t know why, but I can literally buy a full, already grown tomato plant (or any vegetable for that matter), and have it dying or dead within weeks. Its not for lack of effort because I try watering them (maybe I overwater), ensure they have enough sunlight, weed them, fertilize, etc. and each and every time, the plant ends up dead or not producing the vegetables/fruit.
I can’t tell you how many times I have tried growing tomato plants, only to have them die within weeks with no tomatoes to show for it. So, I gave up. I now simply buy tomatoes, zucchini, jalapenos, etc…haha!
Last week, I was at the grocery store and noticed the tomatoes on sale. Since I no longer attempt to grow them, I take the easy approach and buy them. Therefore, I stocked up. I like to keep some on hand for quick caprese salads, taco nights, and anything else I can think of.
I decided to put some to use and make a tasty Bruschetta to put on top of our grilled chicken for dinner. With it being summer in Houston, my hubby and I try grilling as much as possible to keep the heat out of the kitchen.
Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese (or Parmesan)
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken into a large Ziploc bag and pour half of the olive oil mixture into bag.
- Seal bag closed and shake to coat chicken evenly. Allow to marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium heat (or 350 degrees).
- In a medium bowl, combine the other half of the marinade with the diced tomatoes and red onion.
- Grill chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a serving plate and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Spoon bruschetta chicken on top of each chicken breast and top with fresh Basil. Serve immediately.