Last week, my kiddos had a day off a school and were busy painting in the kitchen. While they were busy, I decided to do some baking and whip up a tasty, yet somewhat healthysnack for them to enjoy. Since I had a few extra zucchini in my refrigerator due to a sale at my grocery store, I made some zucchini bread. And, of course being the chocolate fanatic I am, I made a chocolate version.
I had this ready for the oven in about 10 minutes, and once baked, the kids had a slice and loved it. My daughter asked for it for her dessert later that day after dinner, and my two boys said it reminded them of cake! Little did they know I had put two shredded zucchini’s in the bread, haha!
Not only is this bread packed with flavor, but it is moist, loaded with zucchini (don’t worry, you can’t taste it), and could definitely pass as a breakfast, snack, or even dessert!!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have also used coconut oil and it works great)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini’s) *dry them out with a paper towel first to avoid too much moisture in bread
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus a few more for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a large loaf pan, OR 4 mini loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, honey, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and flour.
- Stir until all is combined.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased pans, about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips on top of batter before baking.
- Place in oven and bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean once inserted in center of bread.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool about 5 minutes before removing from pans. Enjoy!!