BEST EVER Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic one pan meal full of tender chicken and creamy rice, all baked together to perfection! This hearty dish requires only a few simple ingredients!
One Pan Chicken and Rice Casserole
Last week, I was in one of those moods where I knew I had to make dinner, had the time to prepare dinner, but lacked motivation. I call it a “lazy moment”. I had thawed some already cooked chicken from my freezer, but didn’t know what I planned to do with it.
After taking a look through my pantry, browsing Pinterest (I can get lost on that site), and using some brainstorming….this casserole came about and I sure am glad it did!
I was able to have it prepped in under ten minutes. I simply tossed in the oven, roasted some veggies while it cooked, and once done….dinner was on the table!
The chicken was tender and flavorful, the rice was cooked perfectly, and when combined….it was a hearty comfort food dish the entire family enjoyed!
This makes a 9×13 baking pan, so plenty for leftovers….which are just as good reheated!
What I love about Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- One Pan- simply combine the ingredients and pour into the pan. To save on washing a bowl, you can even stir everything together in the baking pan.
- Quick and Easy- using only a few ingredients, this can be ready for the oven in under 10 minutes.
- Flavor Packed- tender rice and shredded chicken combined in a flavorful onion mixture that has great flavor that everyone will enjoy.
- Kid and Company Approved- whether serving when company is over, or for your family on a busy weeknight, this meal is approved by all.
Chicken and Rice Casserole Ingredients
See printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for full ingredient amounts and directions
- Chicken- cooked and shredded, to save on time, use Rotisserie chicken
- Onion Soup Mix
- Cream of Mushroom/Chicken Soup- this adds great flavor,it’s okay to use low sodium or light versions of the cream soups
- Sour Cream- feel free to use plain Greek yogurt as a substitute
- Water- this helps cook the rice, you can also use chicken broth if desired
- Rice- this recipe is for MINUTE Rice. If using a different type, you’ll need to increase liquid and cook time
- Salt/Pepper- season to taste
How to make BEST EVER Chicken and Rice Casserole
This easy chicken and rice casserole recipe is such a great way to use up any leftover chicken! It even makes a quick and easy weeknight meal. Packed with flavor and ready to enjoy in under an hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine the cooked chicken, onion mix, cream of mushroom/chicken soup, milk, sour cream, water, rice, and salt/pepper.
Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
Pour chicken/rice mixture into prepared pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
Place pan in preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes.
Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve!
Recipe Variations to try
- Cheese- add in your favorite cheese! Cheddar, Colby Jack, Swiss, or Parmesan are great options!
- Veggies- add a tasty veggie into this to make it a full meal. Chopped spinach, broccoli, peppers, greens beans, or onions are great options.
- Herbs- make this your own by adding any desired seasoning. Parsley, thyme, Basil, or Paprika are great in this.
- Topping- feel free to sprinkle bread crumbs, crushed Ritz crackers, or French Fried Onions on top.
How to store Chicken and Rice Casserole
Store leftovers from this chicken casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Simply microwave to reheat.
If you’re making this dish as a freezer meal, you’ll put it together and then cover it tightly to freeze. When ready to bake, thaw in the fridge and then pop the baking dish in the oven, covered with foil, and follow the baking instructions above.
What to serve with Creamy Chicken and Rice
Since this meal includes both chicken and rice, you can enjoy as is, or add a bread item or veggie as a side dish.
More Easy Casserole to try
Best Ever Tuna Noodle Casserole– this classic Tuna Noodle Casserole has canned tuna and egg noodles smothered in a creamy mushroom soup filling with cheese and peas. Top it off with buttery Ritz crackers, crispy fried onions, or potato chips.
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole– old-fashioned, cold-weather comfort food! The easy dinner recipe only requires about 15 minutes of prep, can be assembled in advance, and appeals to even the pickiest little eaters. The simple combination of shredded rotisserie chicken, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, andStove Top stuffing is delicious.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole– a hearty chicken casserole anyone will love while enjoying a quick 20 minute prep time. The incredible flavor combinations in this easy chicken bacon ranch bake will have your family asking for seconds come dinnertime.
French Onion Casserole– if you love cheesy, oniony dishes, you’ll be delighted.
ULTIMATE Tater Tot Casserole– layers of amazing flavor combine for an easy and delicious dinner any night of the week! This fantastic casserole recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2-3 cups cooked/shredded chicken *or diced cooked chicken
- 1 package Lipton Onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups minute rice *uncooked
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooked chicken, onion mix, cream of mushroom/chicken soup, milk, sour cream, water, rice, and salt/pepper.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour chicken/rice mixture into prepared pan.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Place pan in preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve! Enjoy!