Tater Tot Casserole is an easy to prepare, wholesome and flavorful dish. You’ll have this casserole on the table in about an hour, and it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
There’s something about a casserole that’s always so comforting. Maybe its the combination of flavors that all come together in one warm, mouth-watering pan. It could definitely be how easy it is to prepare. Maybe it’s the fact that you’re left with one dirty dish to clean up. Whatever it is, I’ll always have my favorite casseroles to go to on those cool winter nights. They are also an easy option on game nights or evenings with practice for all the kiddos!
This tater tot casserole is one of my favorite casseroles…the one I always come back to!
A few years back, I was talking with one of my friends about dinner ideas and she mentioned that her family loved a casserole called “Tater Tot Casserole”. I remember thinking, “hmmmm, that sounds interesting, but I don’t know if I would want to try that”. Yes, tater tots are delicious, but in a casserole? Well, she passed me the recipe and I decided to finally make it, years later. It had been one of those recipes I stuck into a recipe book and forgot completely about. This past week, I had pulled the book out and found it again.
Since I had most of the ingredients on hand, this casserole became dinner that night! As it went into the oven, it looked quite pretty. As it came out of the oven, it smelled amazing. My kids even came down the stairs to see what was making the house “smell so good”. Not only was this packed with flavor, but the kids LOVED this! They even asked for seconds! Not only is this the perfect comfort food item, but it also comes together quickly, is inexpensive, and would make a perfect freezer meal!
This casserole ended up coming out of the oven with nice crispy tater tots, with a mixture of cheese, ground beef (or turkey) and corn to make a true one-pan dish. The crispiness of the tater tots were offset perfectly by the smooth cheese and corn!
My only regret was not trying it sooner. I guess it goes to show you, don’t judge a recipe until you try it! I will most definitely be making this again!!
Do you love this casserole? If so, please check out my other favorites below!
Be sure to check out my recipe card below to find ingredients, directions, and even step by step pictures!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey *beef can be substitued as well
- 12 oz corn, drained
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 12 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lb frozen tater tots
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat until no longer pink.
- Drain fat and add in the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in the corn, sour cream, cream of mushroom, and milk.
- Spread mixture into the bottom of baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of pan.
- Add tater tots to top of casserole, in an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven, 375, for about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!! Enjoy!