Creamy, comforting, and packed with flavor, this French Onion Chicken Casserole makes a tasty meal!
As some of you may already know, each week, I select one of my recipes and offer it to the families around me. I am able to get good feedback on the recipes, more pictures if needed, and its a fun way to meet new people!
Last week, I made this French Onion Chicken Casserole and it was a huge hit. It was already one of my favorite recipes, but hearing from several families how much they too enjoyed it….I’d say its a recipe you won’t want to pass up.
The French Onions are always a favorite part of this since they remind me of an onion ring! Just the perfect amount of crunch and flavor to complete this comfort food dish!
I always add in green beans, however, you can use celery or any other veggie desired! My little trick to get my kids to eat their veggies is to add it to their main dish. I have found that they may start out trying to omit the veggie from the dish, however, after a few bites, they give up because they realize it is in every bite and its too much work. They end up eating all their veggies and not saying a word, haha! Win win, right?!
Now, before I get into the recipe, you will read that there is sour cream, mayonnaise, and cream of chicken soup in here. Yes, not the most calorie friendly, however, you can adjust to suit your preference. I have used Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise, cut the sour cream in half, etc. I use reduced fat cream of chicken, so as long as you are tweaking how you prefer, feel free to make this your own!
I was able to make about ten of these in under an hour, so to say this recipe is simple is an understatement. Budget friendly, kid approved, and two thumbs up…..what are you waiting for?! Add this to your next meal plan!
French Onion Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (or diced)
- 1 cup green beans (or veggie of choice)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup almonds, slivered
- 6 oz. French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked chicken, green beans, cheese, sour cream, mayo, cream of chicken, and almonds.
- Spread chicken mixture evenly into pan.
- Place pan into oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the onions evenly on top.
- Place pan back into oven again and bake an additional 5-8 minutes, or until onions are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve!
Here’s the ceramic baking pan I use and love, https://amzn.to/2Mxxrrk