Forgotten Chicken– a super easy, delicious dinner recipe! Chicken breasts, rice, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, and Lipton onion soup mix. Creamy, savory, and absolutely delicious! This chicken dish is easy to prepare and perfect for those busy weeknights!
No-Peek Chicken and Rice
You may have seen this recipe go by the name of No-Peek Chicken Casserole, No-Peek Chicken and Rice, or Forgotten Chicken. No matter what you call it, the end result is incredible. Simply mix a few ingredients together, place in a pan, bake, and you’re set! This no-fuss chicken dinner recipe is perfect on those busy weeknights when you’re in a hurry.
The whole family loves my forgotten chicken. Even my picky eaters. It’s a one-pan recipe that is simple to make and even easier to clean up.
I use both cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup in my casserole, however, you can double up on one kind, or even substitute cream of celery. I tried cream of potato years ago since I had it on hand and the flavor just wasn’t there. Stick with chicken, mushroom, or celery if possible.
Why is it called Forgotten Chicken?
Once you cover the pan with aluminum foil, there is no peeking! I mean, technically you could lift the corner and peek a bit, but its not necessary. It’s important that this meal bake in its own juices. The steam will cook the rice and chicken to perfection. It keeps the chicken juicy and tender. In fact, I like to call it “Forgotten Chicken” because once it goes into the oven, you can forget about it for a while.
Ingredients needed for No-Peek Chicken and Rice
Using a few simple ingredients, this casserole comes together in no time requiring no effort at all! Check out the printable recipe card below for full recipe amounts and directions.
- Chicken- chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
- Rice- Minute Rice, I use brown, but white works too
- Cream of Chicken- reduced sodium works
- Cream of Mushroom- reduced sodium works
- Water- fill up one of the soup cans with water
- Butter- unsalted is best as there can be a lot of sodium in this casserole already
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix- or feel free to use French Fried Onions
How to make Forgotten Chicken
Using the 1 tbsp. butter, butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, 1 can of water, and Minute rice.
Pour mixture into buttered pan.
Place chicken breasts on top of mixture.
Sprinkle Lipton onion soup evenly on top of chicken breasts.
Cover pan with foil and place in a preheated oven, 350 degrees.
Cook for about 1- 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Tips for the best Chicken and Rice Casserole
- During the last 10 minutes of baking time, sprinkle on 1-2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese. This adds a cheesy goodness to every bite!
- Feel free to use chicken tenders in place of chicken breast, just reduce cook time by about 30 minutes.
- Want to make this easier to scoop? Dice the chicken and bake as follows. Then, every bite includes both chicken and rice. If going this route, decrease time by 30ish minutes.
- If using regular rice in lieu of Minute, you’ll want to increase water (by about 1 can) and increase cook time.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts, if that’s what you’ve got on hand.
How to store No-Peek Casserole
Refrigerator- in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, use the microwave. Reheat in a micro-wave safe dish for 1-2 minutes on high. According to Amy from Foodlve.com if you sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons for broth it would keep the rice moist
Freezer- in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to your frozen no-peek chicken, just pull it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees until all is heated all the way through
What to serve with Forgotten Chicken
You’ve got a protein and starch already, so I like to add a side salad and/or bread item to complete this dinner. Grab an easy bagged salad to keep things easy. For a bread option, my family loves Buttery Bread Machine Rolls or Garlic Cheese Crescents.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes to try
ULTIMATE Chicken Casserole– Tender noodles, shredded chicken, bacon, corn, and more!
French Onion Chicken Casserole– Creamy, comforting, and packed with flavor
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole– perfect meal for busy work nights! Using only a few ingredients, this can be ready to go in no time! Comfort food at its finest!
Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole– shredded chicken, pasta, and veggies make this an all in one meal!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole– a one pan meal the entire family will love!
No-Peek Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Minute Rice *I use brown
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can water *use one of the soup cans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
- Using the 1 tbsp. butter, butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, 1 can of water, and Minute rice.
- Pour mixture into buttered pan.
- Place chicken breasts on top of mixture.
- Sprinkle Lipton onion soup evenly on top of chicken breasts.
- Cover pan with foil and place in a preheated oven, 350.
- Cook for about 1- 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe updated 12/6/22