Over the weekend, my hubby and I decided to both do some baking/cooking in the kitchen. He decided to make some yummy donuts, recipe coming soon, while I decided to make a casserole for dinner. Since I had some chicken already cooked and diced in the freezer, I decided to use it up and make this quick dish. Not only did this come together quickly, but I used the fresh broccoli I had bought from our local produce stand, as well as some brown rice I already had in my pantry. It was a full meal in one pan, which doesn’t get much easier. We had our side dish, main dish, and veggie, all together!! The kids loved this too and even asked for seconds! All in all, this is definitely something I will be making again!!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 head of broccoli, cooked and drained (you can also use a package of frozen broccoli if desired)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and diced (or shredded if desired)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup French fried onion
- Grease a 7×11 baking dish, set aside.
- Cook the brown rice according to directions, set aside.
- Cook the broccoli and drain water. Sprinkle the salt over broccoli and set aside.
- Cut chicken into small pieces and cook over medium high heat in the olive oil. Once cooked through, set aside. *You can also cook the chicken and shred once cooked, your preference 🙂
- In the same pan used to cook the chicken, add the cream of chicken soup, milk, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
- To layer casserole, place brown rice on bottom of pan. Place cooked broccoli on top of rice. Place cooked chicken and top of broccoli. Pour the cream of chicken sauce on top of the chicken, making sure to cover entirely.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 350, for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the fried onions on top evenly.
- Place dish back into oven for another 10 minutes, or until onions are golden brown.
- Remove and serve!!