This easy Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is perfect for breakfast or dinner! It comes together quickly and is a filling meal all in one simple dish!
When my husband and I got married, I quickly realized he loved biscuits and gravy, and I really did not. Over the years, I have tried the dish at a few restaurants and slowly have changed my mind.
To be honest, I am not really sure what I didn’t like about it. I tend to be a bit picky when it comes to black pepper, which is an important ingredient in this casserole!
Do you love casseroles? Also check out these other family favorites:
The first time I ever had biscuits and gravy, the pepper was way too strong. The next time I ordered it, way too much salt was involved. I couldn’t figure out what it was that made my hubby love it so much.
Once we made it at home, where we could control the ingredients a bit…I fell in love with it and its pure comfort food!
After a few times of making classic biscuits and gravy, I decided to add my own twist on it and make it into a casserole. A bit more kid friendly, great for having guests/company over, and leftovers are scrumptious!
This casserole can be a hearty breakfast, or even dinner!! In fact, I made this yummy casserole for dinner a few weeks ago and paired some hash-browns with it. Not only was it simple to make, but the entire family, kids included, absolutely loved it. It kept us full for hours and we even had enough leftovers to enjoy the next day!!
Ingredients Needed for this recipe:
1 can flaky biscuits (Grands is what I used)
1/2 lb ground breakfast sausage
3 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black ground pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is comfort food at its finest! Flavor packed in each bite, be sure to print the recipe below and give it a try!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 can biscuits *flaky Grands is what I used
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. I used a 7×10.
- Slice biscuits into quarters. Layer half the biscuits in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 400, for about 10 minutes.
- While biscuits are cooking, cook the breakfast sausage in a pan over medium heat. Cook until no longer pink.
- Drain fat and sprinkle the flour on top of meat.
- Stir until the flour is completely absorbed.
- Add the milk, salt, and pepper, and stir until combined.
- Allow mixture to come to a slow boil. Add more seasonings if desired. You want the gravy to be thick, but not too thick, so add a bit more milk if needed.
- Pour gravy over cooked biscuits and layer remaining biscuit dough on top.
- Place dish into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe updated 10/4/21