This Blueberry Buckle is a flavorful cake that has a delicious, buttery flavor, with juicy berries and a tasty crumble on top! Enjoy as a breakfast with a cup of coffee, or a sweet treat later in the day with a glass of cold milk!
Growing up, my mom used to make this for breakfasts, when we had company over, or when guests came into town! The crumb topping was (and still is) my favorite part!
The cake itself isn’t overly sweet, and has a great buttery flavor throughout! As a kid, I would fill up a tall glass of cold milk to accompany my serving. Now, as an adult, I tend to opt for a mug of hot coffee! Either pairs perfectly with this!
You can make the recipe as is and bake in an 8×8 pan, OR….double the recipe and make in a 9×13. One bite in, you’ll be wanting the 9×13 pan, haha!
Living up in Seattle, we used to pick our blueberries fresh from the vine and use them in this recipe! Now that we are here in Houston, we don’t have the luxury, however, whenever I find berries on sale, I grab a pack or two and stick in my freezer!
Hope you enjoy this Blueberry Buckle!
8X8 PAN: https://amzn.to/2CZsAP5
Mixing Bowl Set: https://amzn.to/3fKfN1A
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour *all purpose
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Beat 3/4 cup sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, beat well.
- Stir together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to beaten mixture. Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Spread in a greased 8×8 inch baking pan. Top with blueberries.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon; cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!