Typically, I make chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker using a can of premade biscuit dough, and let the slow cooker do all the work. However, I decided to attempt a casserole version of it since my kids LOVE casseroles. Not only was this incredibly simple to make, it makes tons and is great for leftovers!
With the cold winter weather ahead, this is a great comfort food dish to make that will have your family going back for seconds. Three layers combined to make a hearty biscuit with chicken dish that takes only a few minutes to throw together. Inexpensive, most of the ingredients you already have on hand, and quick to the table…..does it get any better than that??
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Melt the stick of butter onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spread shredded chicken on top of butter.
- Sprinkle sage, pepper, salt, and garlic evenly over chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Bisquick and milk.
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.
- Pour mixture on top of Bisquick layer. *Be sure not to mix the layers, just pour and move to next step
- Sprinkle a handful of cheddar cheese on top if desired.
- Place pan in preheated oven, 350, for about 55-65 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!!!