This Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings is comfort food at its finest! Made entirely from scratch, this dish is hearty and a family favorite everyone will enjoy!
For years, I made a shortcut version of chicken and dumplings because it was quick, easy, and to be honest, I assumed dumplings were difficult to make.
My go to version included a package of pre-made biscuit dough and a slow cooker, so needless to say, it was definitely the shortcut version!
Fast forward a few years and I was watching a cooking show on TV one afternoon. She was making some Chicken and Dumplings and when she got to the dumpling stage, it was incredibly simple.
Chicken, veggies, and homemade dumplings combine into this hearty meal! Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings is a full meal in itself that everyone will enjoy!
Since I was intrigued with trying it myself, I added some ingredients to my grocery list and prepared myself for the challenge.
I love using my Dutch Oven any opportunity I can, so I pulled it out and set off to work.
Only a few batches of the dough were epic fails, but the last batch I made was perfection. Flavorful on its own but complimenting the rest of the dish perfectly.
I chose to make mine as drop dumplings versus rolling out the dough and cutting perfect bites. This made it hearty and definitely fit the “comfort food” vibe I was going for.
After a bit of prep work, tweaking along the way, and allowing everything to simmer together…. this Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings came about and was a bit hit!
I served ours with some crusty bread and it was a complete meal everyone enjoyed!
If you’re looking for a great meal option on a cold evening, give this a try! I’d love to know what you think!
Love comfort food? Check out these other great recipes:
Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings are quick, easy and have just the right amount of creaminess to be insanely delicious! Print the recipe below and give them a try!
Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast *boneless/skinless, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup flour *all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Add olive oil to Dutch Oven and heat over medium.
- Add in the chicken and 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add in the carrots and celery, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining seasoning and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer for about 25 minutes and then add in the cream.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, egg, milk, salt, and Parsley.
- Drop the dough by the spoonful into the simmering soup mixture and allow to cook an additional 6-9 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!