Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is comfort food at its finest! A one pan, cheesy meal that the entire family will enjoy!
About this recipe
One of my favorite things to make for dinner is a casserole. Not only are they budget friendly and easy to prepare, but most of the time they can be prepared ahead of time making them perfect for busy nights. Most casseroles are simple to make and use ingredients you already have on hand.
This Chicken and Rice Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and packed with flavor! Tender chicken, rice, cheese, and cream of chicken soup combine to create a meal the entire family will enjoy. You can even slip in some broccoli, peas, or corn to make this a full one-pan meal! Not only does this casserole taste incredible, but the aroma that fills the house while cooking will have everyone asking when dinner will be ready.
Ingredients Needed for this chicken casserole:
- Chicken- cooked and shredded or diced
- Rice (not minute rice) brown or white works
- Cheddar Cheese– try to use freshly shredded as the bagged cheese have an additive to prevent clumping that doesn’t allow for melting easily
- Salt/Pepper- to taste
- Cream of Chicken Soup- 10.5 oz
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Cut up pieces of broccoli go perfectly in this recipe
- Feel free to add mushrooms, onions, peppers, or any other vegetable desired
- Homemade cream of chicken soup works good in this recipe if you don’t want to use canned
- Cream of mushroom, celery, broccoli, and potato are all great alternative options to the cream of chicken
- Chicken Thighs can be used in this recipe in place of the chicken breasts
- Feel free to use chicken broth in lieu of water for added flavor
Layers of Your Casserole
- The bottom layer, rice. Uncooked at this point.
- Next in line, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- Followed by- – cream of chicken soup.
- Then, Lipton Onion Soup and a cheese layer.
How to make Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
With a few simple steps, this casserole is oven ready in just a few minutes! Scroll below for full recipe card!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Layer the bottom of pan with the rice.
Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and chicken to the top of the rice.
Spread the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
Pour water on top, followed by the Lipton onion mix.
Place pan carefully into the preheated oven and allow to bake for 90 minutes. If using brown rice, add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
Once cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes and serve!
What to Serve with this Casserole
This casserole can be served on its own, or with a side or steamed veggies, a side salad, or a bread item. We love Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts or Garlic Asparagus with ours! In the summer months, a nice Chopped Caprese Salad makes a wonderful side option!
Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Do not bake the casserole. Tightly wrap the dish in a few layers of plastic wrap or foil, pressing out any air. Freeze up to 4 months. Allow to thaw once ready to cook and proceed with cooking instructions.
If you love casseroles, try these other favorites:
Casseroles are a family favorite meal option. They are budget friendly and delicious. Whether you want a side dish or a full meal, check out these great choices to add to your next menu. Be sure to bookmark these, print out the recipes, or pin them to Pinterest.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole– tender pasta with chicken, bacon, and Ranch seasoning combined into a flavorful casserole
Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole– layers of pasta, cheese, sauce, and meat combined into a creamy spaghetti dish
Parmesan Chicken Casserole– using only 5 ingredients, this chicken casserole is melt in your mouth scrumptious with every bite
Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Casserole– a one pan meal the entire family will love. All the flavors of classic chicken pot pie are combined into one pan.
Easy Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb chicken *boneless/skinless, diced
- 2 cups uncooked rice *brown or white works, not Instant
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese *shredded
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup *10.5 oz cans
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Layer the bottom of pan with the rice.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, salt pepper, and chicken to the top of the rice.
- Spread the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
- Pour water on top, followed by the Lipton onion mix.
- Place pan carefully into the preheated oven, and allow to bake for 90 minutes. If using brown rice, add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
Recipe adapted from: 10/7/21