Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is comfort food at its finest! It is a creamy and cheesy dinner the entire family will enjoy!
One of my favorite things to make for dinner is a casserole. We typically can get at least two nights out of the one dish and I always make them kid friendly. That allows one less night of cooking for me and the kids eat it all up without complaining. Win-win, right??
Casseroles are the ideal comfort food: They save tons of time, they feed a crowd, and…they’re just plain good. Plus, most of the time they are great on the budget!
If you love casseroles, try these other favorites:
This cheesy dish always makes the kids excited since I let them sprinkle additional cheese on top of it when it comes out of the oven. For them, that is the best part!
Since cheese is a favorite in my house, I knew this new casserole would be a hit. A few days ago, I was browsing my local grocery store when I noticed blocks of cheese on sale. Once home, I decided to grate some up fresh to use in this tasty casserole!
Fun fact, if you buy the bags of pre-shredded cheese….don’t use those bags in anything you want to melt and have turn creamy. Why? Well, to keep the cheese from sticking together in the bags, there is an added preservative/coating on the cheese. When you go to use it in a cheese sauce, soup, casserole, etc….it doesn’t always melt completely or you will notice a grainy texture. Either way, I always recommend shredding/grating your own cheese fresh.
I was able to assemble this casserole in under 10 minutes and simply place in the oven come later in the day when dinnertime approached. With minimal ingredients needed, all of which are kid friendly, this is one dish the entire family will enjoy!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups uncooked rice (not minute rice) (brown or white works)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
3 cups water
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
Be sure to let me know what you think in the comment section below if you give it a try!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is a flavorful meal option that will have everyone going back for seconds! Be sure to print the recipe below and add it to your next meal plan!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb chicken *boneless/skinless, diced
- 2 cups uncooked rice *brown or white works, not Instant
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese *shredded
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup *10.5 oz cans
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Layer the bottom of pan with the rice.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, salt pepper, and chicken to the top of the rice.
- Spread the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup over the chicken.
- Pour water on top, followed by the Lipton onion mix.
- Place pan carefully into the preheated oven, and allow to bake for 90 minutes. If using brown rice, add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
- *If you notice not a lot of water left in the casserole at the one hour mark, add in an additional 1/2 cup.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top.
Recipe adapted from: 10/7/21