This hearty Cowboy Cornbread Casserole recipe is comfort food at its finest! Perfect for busy weeknights, this cowboy casserole includes seasoned ground beef, corn, beans, and a fluffy cornbread topping!
If you’re like me and love a good casserole, you have come to the right place! Similar to my Cornbread Taco Bake, this Cornbread Cowboy Casserole comes together in no time and is so flavorful! Perfect to make when guests come over, this dish can easily be adapted to fit anyone’s tastes. Top it with some sour cream, cheese, or other favorites and dinner is served!
Why You’ll Love this recipe
- Simple Ingredients– using ingredients you may already have on hand; this casserole comes together in no time!
- So many ways to make this your own– you can switch up ingredients to fit anyone’s desires. See variations below.
- Budget Friendly– most of the ingredients needed can be found on sale often. Plus, it makes a large pan, therefore, perfect for leftovers!
Ingredients Needed for easy Cowboy Cornbread Casserole
For exact recipe ingredient amounts, see printable recipe card below.
- Cornbread Mix– I use Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix for this recipe. However, if you prefer homemade, that works too
- Eggs– large eggs at room temperature is best
- Milk– any type works, this will be used to make the cornbread mix into batter
- Beef– I use 80/20 lean ground beef, ground turkey also works great
- Onion– white or yellow onion, diced
- Bell Pepper– diced, any color works
- Corn– canned works great, drained
- Rotel– canned Rotel tomatoes, any type works
- Pinto Beans– drained, you can also use kidney beans, black beans, or ranch style beans
- Taco Seasoning– one packet or about 3 tablespoon homemade seasoning
Variations and Substitutions for this Texas Cornbread Casserole
- Ground Turkey or Chicken can be used in place of the Ground Beef
- If you like some heat, add in some canned jalapenos.
- Diced green chilies are a tasty addition in this recipe.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the casserole about 5 minutes prior to it being done so it melts prior to removing from oven.
- If you don’t have Jiffy Cornbread mix, you can use this cornbread recipe and remove the cornbread mix, eggs, and milk from the original recipe.
- In place of the cornbread, you can sprinkle Frito chips and make a Fritos Cowboy Cornbread Casserole.
How to make Cowboy Casserole with Jiffy Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the Jiffy corn muffin mix with the eggs and milk. Stir until just combined and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef with the onion and diced bell peppers until beef is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add in the Rotel, beans, corn, taco seasoning.
- Spread cooked ground beef mixture into prepared pan evenly.
- Pour cornbread batter evenly on top of the beef mixture and bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Remove baking dish from oven and serve with favorite toppings.
How to store leftover Cowboy Cornbread Casserole
- Allow to fully cool before covering with aluminum foil or in an airtight container. Place in fridge up to 5 days. Reheat in microwave until heated through.
- To freeze, place leftovers in freezer safe container up to 2 months. Allow leftovers to thaw overnight before reheating in microwave.
If you’re looking for some topping ideas, here are my favorites:
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
- Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Cheese (Pepperjack and Mexican Cheese are my favs)
- Hot Sauce
- Pico de Gallo
What to serve with Jiffy Cowboy Cornbread Casserole
Technically, this dish can be a one pan meal since it includes veggies, cornbread, and your meat mixture, however, this also pairs nicely with:
- Side Salad (keep it simple and use a bagged salad kit from the store)
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole
- Restaurant Style Tableside Guacamole
- Mexican Burrito Roll Ups
- Roasted Veggies
What can I add to the cornbread mix for a flavor boost?
When you are making the cornbread, feel free to add in some diced peppers, onions, bacon, cheese, or spices such as chili powder or cumin.
How far in advance can I prepare this cornbread casserole?
You can prepare this up to 2 days in advance. Simply cover the pan and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
How do you reheat Jiffy Cowboy Casserole?
I have found that the easiest way to reheat leftovers is in the microwave. Using 30 second increments, heat until desired temperature is reached.
Why is it called Cowboy Casserole?
Due to the fact this is an all-in-one meal that includes beans, it is often referred to as Cowboy Casserole as it is something that could be served at a Ranch and makes plenty for everyone!
More Casserole Recipes to try
Easy Chicken Cobbler– simple to make with frozen vegetables, cooked chicken, chicken broth, and cream of chicken soup. Top it off with a store-bought cheddar bay biscuit mix for the ultimate savory cobbler.
Tater Tot Casserole– layers of amazing flavor combine for an easy and delicious dinner any night of the week! This fantastic casserole recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole– a quick, easy, and over the top tasty dinner that combines classic chicken casserole with creamy jalapeno poppers.
Chicken Taco Casserole– the best, easy, and most delicious dinner recipe. Simply mix together all the ingredients and bake for a hearty meal ready in no time.
Taco Lasagna– the perfect crowd-pleasing casserole made with tortillas, taco meat, salsa, and cheese! Top it with guacamole and sour cream for a delicious Mexican dinner that everyone will love.
This Cowboy Cornbread Casserole is a delicious and satisfying dish that brings together the flavors of traditional Tex-Mex cuisine with the heartiness of cornbread. With its rich combination of ground beef, beans, and corn layered between a moist and golden cornbread crust, this casserole offers a mouthwatering experience for the entire family. Whether served as a main course or as a side dish at your next gathering, cornbread casserole with beef is sure to impress everyone around the table. So go ahead and give this recipe a try – it’s guaranteed to become a family favorite in no time!
Cowboy Cornbread Casserole Recipe
- 2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can Rotel don't drain
- 1 can Pinto Beans drained
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the Jiffy mix with the eggs and milk. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef with the onion and pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add in the Rotel, beans, corn, taco seasoning. Spread meat mixture into prepared pan evenly.
- Spread cornbread mix evenly on top of the beef mixture and bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Remove from oven and serve with favorite toppings.