California Taco is a dish that includes layers of Fritos, meat, cheese, and any topping desired! Flavorful and budget friendly!
This dish is one that has been in my family for YEARS!!! In fact, my Grandma put together mini cookbooks for all the girls in our family before we got married and this recipe was in there!
Check out these other family favorite recipes from the cookbook too:
When I was a kid, I LOVED whenever my mom made this because I was able to have chips with dinner. Yes, the mind of a child, right??
As I got older, I not only realized how simple this was to make, but also, how many yummy toppings you could add to it.
One batch serves at least 8 people, and since each person can customize their own, everyone always ends up happy!
I served this for my daughter’s birthday party a few years back and it was definitely a hit with both the kids and adults that came. A while back, my mom and dad, brothers family, and my family all went to a beach house for a family vacation. My mom made a triple batch of this and brought it with her for one of the dinners. Between 12 people, we had so many leftovers and were able to enjoy it again for lunch the next day!
Whether you make this in a slow cooker, or in a pot over the stove, definitely try this!!
Ground beef or turkey
Mexican chili beans
Frito Corn Chips
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Chopped lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, etc.
California Taco is a family approved, budget friendly meal option that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner! Be sure to print the recipe below and give it a try!
- 3 lb beef *ground meat, turkey works too
- 1 green pepper *chopped
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 2 cans Mexican chili beans 15.5 oz cans
- 1 onion *chopped
- Toppings of choice (lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, sour cream, etc)
- Brown meat in pan over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add in the chopped green pepper, taco sauce, Mexican chili beans, and chopped onion.
- Simmer on low for about 1 hour. *You can also add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low until ready to serve.
- To assemble, layer corn chips on a plate. Top with meat mixture, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and any other topping desired.