Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is a quick and easy meal option using refrigerated biscuit pieces, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings! Using a few simple shortcut ingredients, this casserole can be oven ready in only a few minutes!
Why You’ll Love this recipe
- Budget Friendly– using simple ingredients you can almost always find on sale, this is a great budget friendly meal option.
- Quick and Easy– simply quarter the biscuit pieces and combine with a few other ingredients to have this ready to bake in minutes.
- Customizable– use your favorite pizza toppings and have fun with it.
- Perfect for any occasion– whether serving on busy weeknights, weekends, or when others come over, its the perfect pizza casserole recipe.
- Make Ahead– if you’re short on time, you can prepare this in the morning and cover with aluminum foil. Store in fridge and pull out to bake come dinnertime.
Ingredients Needed for this Bubble Up Pizza Bake
See printable recipe card for exact ingredient amounts and step by step directions.
- Biscuits– I use Pillsbury Grands Jr Biscuits as you don’t really want to use the larger ones, should be about 10 biscuits per tube
- Pizza Sauce– use your favorite pizza sauce or a jar of marinara sauce
- Cheese– shredded Mozzarella, you can also use shredded pepper-jack cheese to add a kick to the casserole
- Italian Seasoning– if you don’t have any on hand, simply omit, this just adds a classic Italian flavoring to the recipe
- Toppings– have fun with this part, Italian sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onions, and more
- If you don’t want to use pepperoni, you can use cooked Italian sausage, chopped ham or pork, ground beef, chicken, brisket, and more!
- Bell peppers, chopped
- Onions, chopped
- Mushrooms or black olives, chopped
- Different cheeses such as Pepper-jack, Colby Jack, Parmesan, etc.
- You can use a store bought jar pizza sauce or homemade
- Red pepper flakes sprinkled on top is a great addition of heat
How to make this easy Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cut biscuit dough into small pieces (about 4-5 pieces per biscuit).
- Add in pizza sauce, one cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and pizza topping.
- Stir and mix thoroughly so all pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining one cup cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for about 35 minutes, or until slightly brown and cheese is bubbly.
Tips for Pizza Casserole with Biscuits
- Using a pizza cutter to slice biscuit pieces into quarters is the easiest method.
- Ensure your 9×13 baking dish is greased thoroughly to avoid sticking.
- If you don’t have pizza sauce or marinara on hand, tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce works in a pinch.
- Garlic powder or fresh minced garlic is always a great addition to any pizza item! Up to 2 tablespoon can be added for garlic lovers.
- For a meatless meal, omit the cooked meat and make this vegetarian.
- I love to stick mine under the broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes to get the top really bubbly!!
How to store leftover Bubble Up Pizza Casserole
Once fully cooled, here are some tips to ensure freshness.
- Refrigerator: place leftovers in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: place leftovers in freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw and reheat in microwave or oven.
- To reheat: bake in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave on 50% power for 1-3 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is bubble up casserole?
Bubble up casserole is a type of casserole bake made with biscuits. The biscuits “bubble up” when baking, which is how the classic dish got its name.
Can I freeze this bubble up pizza recipe?
Absolutely! In fact, this casserole is extremely freezer friendly. Bake the casserole as directed and allow to cool completely. Freeze portions in individual freezer safe bags or place in one large freezer container. Simply pull out a slice when desired and reheat, or pull out the entire casserole, thaw, and reheat in microwave or oven.
What should I serve with this Bubble Up Pizza Bake?
On busy nights, I serve this bubble pizza bake on its own or add simple sides to this.
- Bread– bread-sticks and garlic bread are a favorite of ours to pair with this because its the ultimate Italian combination.
- Salad– keep it simple with a bagged salad or make a fresh garden salad to pair with this pizza bake.
What can I use in place of the Pillsbury biscuits?
You can make homemade, fluffy biscuits and use those in this recipe, or use Bisquick and prepare biscuits as directed on the box.
How far in advance can this be prepared?
You can make this and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake up to 2 days in advance. Simply cover with plastic and tin foil and store until ready. You may have to add a few minutes to the cook time to ensure its cooked through.
More Pizza Recipes to try
Homemade Pizza Crust– great for beginners and produces a soft homemade pizza crust. Skip the pizza delivery because you only need a few basic ingredients to begin!
Taco Bell Mexican Pizzas– crispy tortilla with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
Pull Apart Pizza Bread– made with refrigerated biscuits, pepperoni, Italian seasoning, garlic and cheese!
Garlic Toast Pizzas– so simple even the kids can make it! It only requires 3 basic ingredients plus the toppings of your choice. If you like pizza, how can you go wrong with a garlic toast crust?
No Yeast Pizza Dough– a simple, quick, easy and so delicious Pizza. No yeast makes it the perfect weeknight meal.
Beer Pizza Dough– easy to make and tastes delicious. The beer adds a unique flavor to the dough that you’ll absolutely love. Plus, it’s a fun recipe to make with friends or family.
Bubble Up Pizza Casserole is the ultimate dinner solution that will surely bring smiles to your family’s faces. With its fluffy biscuit pieces and deliciously cheesy toppings, this dish combines all the flavors we love in a pizza with the convenience of a casserole. It’s quick and easy to make, perfect for those busy weeknights when time is scarce. Plus, you can customize it with your family’s favorite pizza toppings to make it even more special. So go ahead and give this recipe a try – I guarantee it’ll become a new family favorite! Be sure to add a star rating and comment below if you give it a try!
Bubble Up Pizza Casserole Recipe
- 2 cans pre-made biscuits *16-20 biscuits total, I use Pillsbury Grands Jr
- 15 oz pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese *shredded
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pizza toppings of choice (pepperoni, peppers, onion, sausage, etc)
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, break biscuits into small pieces (about 4-5 pieces per biscuit).
- Add in pizza sauce, one cup mozzarella cheese, and pizza topping.
- Mix thoroughly so all pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Top with remaining one cup cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 35 minutes, or until slightly brown and cheese is bubbly. *I stuck mine under the broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes to get the top really bubbly!!