Comeback Sauce Recipe
This sauce has become increasingly popular over the past few years. Nowadays, you’ll find that many restaurants offer their own versions of the classic recipe. Sometimes the recipe can include an element of heat, other times it can be a bit sweeter. No matter the version, they are all pretty similar and packed with flavor. Perfect for dipping fried foods into, drizzling over burgers, coating veggies when roasted, and more!
It’s called Comeback Sauce for a reason, y’all. It keeps you coming back. Literally, any time I have this sauce on hand, I find myself dipping anything and everything on my plate through it. It’s pure flavorful bliss served in a dip!
Where did Comeback Sauce Originate?
Comeback Sauce was originally invented by a Greek restaurant named The Rotisserie in Jackson, Mississippi. It was their house dressing and named so after the traditional goodbye in Mississippi. In fact, several Jackson, Mississippi, restaurants now serve their own variations of the sauce and many offer bottled comeback sauce.
Using a few simple ingredients, this sauce comes together in no time. Scroll below for printable recipe card with full ingredient amounts and directions.
- Mayonnaise- low-fat works too
- Hot Sauce- feel free to add more or less depending on desired heat level
- Cajun Seasoning- Slap Ya Mama is our fav
- Worcestershire Sauce
How to make Southern Comeback Sauce
To make Southern Comeback Sauce start with mayonnaise and add just enough ketchup to taint it orange.
Next, add a little honey, a little Worcestershire sauce, a little Cajun seasoning, and hot sauce. The hot sauce you select is extremely personal… Your favorite hot/spicy flavor.
Stir until combined and serve or chill until ready to use! That’s it! Easy, right?!
Ways to use Comeback Sauce
This simple, flavor packed sauce can be used so many ways, but here are a few of my favorites!
- Dipping Chicken Tenders Into
- Use it as a fry sauce with some tasty Air Fryer Fries or Hushpuppies
- Drizzle it over the top of your hamburger
- Smoke some chicken wings and serve on the side, or even brush over the wings as they cook
- Use as a salad dressing
- On top of oven roasted vegetables
Since this is mayonnaise based, don’t leave this out at room temperature. If stored in an airtight container, this sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. It is quite addictive, so I don’t think it’ll last that long in your house! Luckily, it’s easy to prepare, so you can always have it on hand!
- Add up to 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to make a thinner dressing for salads.
- Add more heat to this sauce by adding in some Sriracha sauce or Cayenne Pepper.
- For additional flavor, feel free to add in some onion or garlic powder.
- If honey is not a great option for you, you can also use agave, stevia, or plain white sugar.
- Let the dip chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving to let all the flavors really blend together.
More Dips to try
Classic Southern Comeback Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce *this is where you can add more or cut it down depending on preference
- 2 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning *we love using Slap Ya Mama
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve!