I don’t know about you, but when I am eating good BBQ, nothing goes better with it than a side of fried okra and hush puppies. Well, my hubby and I mastered fried okra (click here for recipe), and set out to master hush puppies!
Since my kiddos were going to be trying them, I decided to not use jalapenos in our first batch. The end result was fabulous and my kids, especially my daughter, went crazy over them!! I think next time, I may put half the batter aside and add in some jalapenos for my hubby and I. The added kick from the peppers would be a great addition!
Whether you choose to add the jalapeno or not, you’ll love these! Good ol’ Southern comfort food at its finest!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (you can also use melted bacon fat, I just didn’t have any on hand)
- 1/2 cup jalapenos (de-seeded and chopped) *optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and baking powder.
- Add in the egg, milk, melted butter, coconut oil, and jalapenos (if using).
- Cover batter with plastic wrap or lid and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a Dutch oven or Fry Daddy, heat about 2 inches worth of oil to 350 degrees.
- Drop tablespoon size balls into the oil, about 6 at a time, and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- As dough balls are cooking, use a slotted spoon to turn them over to make sure they cook evenly.
- Using slotted spoon, remove cooked hush puppies and place on a cooling rack to drain.
- Repeat process until all are cooked.