Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are incredibly flavor packed and easy to make! Moist, almost cake-like cookies that are loaded with Fall flavor! Perfect to enjoy with your morning coffee, as an anytime snack, or an evening sweet treat!
These Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies are lightly sweet with a cake like texture that just can’t be beat! They all but melt in your mouth each bite you take! The best part, you can make these your own by adding more chocolate chips, adding in chopped walnuts, or omitting the chocolate chips altogether!
Why You’ll Love these Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No chilling required– simply combine the ingredients in one bowl and you’re ready to start scooping cookie dough!
- Uses simple ingredients– this recipe uses ingredients you may already have on hand! No butter needed!
- Soft, cake like texture that can be enjoyed anytime of the day– unlike most cookies, these are cake like, soft, and melt in your mouth delicious!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
See printable recipe card below for exact ingredient amounts and step by step directions.
- Pumpkin– you will want to use unsweetened pumpkin puree, I use Libby’s canned pumpkin
- Sugar– white granulated sugar
- Vegetable Oil– you can also use canola oil if desired
- Vanilla Extract– make sure to use pure vanilla extract versus imitation, the flavor is much more enhanced
- Milk– any type works as you only need a little bit
- Egg– room temperature is best to combine easiest
- Flour– all-purpose flour
- Baking Powder/Baking Soda/Salt– these give the cookies their rise and fluffy texture, ensure your ingredients are fresh. I change mine out every 6 months.
- Cinnamon– ground cinnamon
- Chocolate Chips– I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, however milk chocolate chips or any flavor works great! If you can find cinnamon chips, those are amazing in these cookies.
Soft Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies Substitutions and Variations
- You can use 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 cake flour in this recipe for a chewier texture.
- To add more Fall flavor, try adding Ground Nutmeg, Ginger, Allspice, Pumpkin Pie Spice, or Cloves in addition to the cinnamon.
- Chopped pecans and walnuts make great additions to these cookies. About 1/2 cup added to the batter is perfect.
- You can add up to 1/2 cup quick oats if you are wanting a chewier cookie.
- Raisins, dried fruits, or dates make great additions to these cookies.
How to make Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, milk, egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir until just combined.
- Gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon cookie dough onto a non-stick baking pan. I prefer to make these cookies bite size, if you want them bigger, use a medium cookie scoop and add a few minutes to the bake time.
- Place baking sheets into preheated oven and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before moving to a wire rack. Continue until all cookie dough has been used.
How to store Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Room Temperature: place fully cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Refrigerator: place cookies in an airtight container or bag for up to 7 days.
- Freeze: place cookies into a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw before enjoying.
Tips for easy Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Use room temperature ingredients as they combine into the batter easier.
- Since each oven cooks differently, keep an eye on your cookies starting around the 8 minute mark.
- Use parchment paper lined on your cookie sheets for easier clean up.
- Make sure you don’t over-mix your cookie dough as it will change the texture and cause the cookies not to rise as much.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I refrigerate the cookie dough overnight?
Absolutely! Simply prepare the dough as directed and cover the bowl. Keep in the fridge overnight and once ready to bake, add a few minutes to bake time as the dough will be chilled.
Can I use gluten free flour in this recipe?
Over the years, I have heard from lots of people that all-purpose gluten flour works perfectly in this recipe at a 1:1 ratio!
What should I do with the remaining canned pumpkin since this recipe only calls for 1 cup?
I love having extra pumpkin to use up because there are so many great options to try. You can make Libby’s Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins, 3 ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread or even Pumpkin Banana Bread!
Do I have to use canned pumpkin or can I use homemade pumpkin puree?
Either works great! I tend to go the canned route only because I have 3 kids, 3 dogs, and run around all day. I love a shortcut when I can take it. If you prefer homemade, that’s a wonderful option too!
More Pumpkin Recipes to try
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls– made with pumpkin in the dough and filled with a gooey pumpkin spice cinnamon swirl, these are the ultimate Fall treat!
Easy Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Bake– perfect for cozy, fall-inspired breakfasts and brunches that will impress everyone!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Donuts– the ultimate Fall treat! Baked, not fried, these donuts are ready in less than 30 minutes.
Cinnamon Streusel Pumpkin Cake– moist, tender, and loaded with warm pumpkin spices and topped with a sweet cinnamon & brown sugar! streusel.
Great Pumpkin Cookies– the perfect amount of pumpkin spice and each bite truly melts in your mouth. With chewy centers and spiced sugar topping, you will not believe how delicious these fall cookies are!
Soft Baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies offer a delightful twist on the traditional cookie recipe. The combination of warm spices and rich pumpkin flavor creates a comforting treat that is perfect for any Fall occasion. Whether enjoyed with a cup of coffee or shared with friends/family, these cakey cookies are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. So, why not indulge in the cozy flavors of Autumn and bake up a batch of these scrumptious treats? Be sure to comment below if you try these and let me know what you think! I would love for you to leave a 5 star rating if you enjoyed them!
Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour *all-purpose
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, milk, egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough using a cookie scoop onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheets into preheated oven and bake 10-12 minutes, or until cookies just start turning brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from pan and serving.