Frito Pie is a quick family friendly meal that can be ready in about 15 minutes! Add some garnish and toppings and your meal is complete!
Over the years, keeping my family happy during dinner has always been a challenge! The life of a food blogger dictates we can’t have the same thing twice, everything has to be pictured first, and we can’t ever have anything simple! Well, I broke the mold with this dish! I needed something quick, using ingredients I already had on hand, and would be flavorful and delicious (and, of course, not a duplicate!). Enter this dish. Ready in about 15 minutes, this Frito Pie is packed with flavor and totally customizable! By adding sour cream, tomatoes and cilantro, you’ll have all the wonderful flavors of a taco combined with the crunch of the Fritos!
Combining Taco Seasoning and Ground Beef is always a winning recipe, but this Frito Pie takes it to another level!
The first time I served this dish, I wasn’t sure how my family would react. My husband has said time and time again that he’s not a fan of Frito’s. I’m not sure how that’s even possible, but he said they were a little too “corny” and he just wasn’t a fan. I figured these would be like corn tortillas for the base….sort of….and how could I go wrong? I browned the meat and threw in the seasoning. He came running asking when the taco’s would be ready. I told him I had a trick up my sleeve and I had just the recipe he was looking for. Once I had everything served up, even he couldn’t argue the meal was a hit and the Frito’s really made the whole dish work!
I’m all about simple and quick with great flavor. If this Frito Pie interested you, check out some of my other top recipes below!
Make sure to check out my recipe card below for ingredients, step by step instructions, and a handy print feature to get your own copy of the card!
- 1 lb Ground Beef *can sub Turkey
- 2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 can Pinto Beans (rinsed and drained) *about 1 cup
- Corn Chips
- Shredded Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes / Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- In a large skillet, brown the meat until no longer pink, drain fat.
- Add in Chili Powder, Flour, Salt, Garlic Powder, and Taco Seasoning and mix thoroughly
- Slowly add in water and beans, stirring to combine
- Allow to simmer on low, about 10 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed
- Remove from heat and begin assembly
- Place corn chips on plate
- Scoop meat and place on top of chips
- Top with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, source cream