Sour Cream Enchiladas include seasoned chicken wrapped in tortillas and covered with a creamy sour cream sauce! Makes a great dinner option!
I don’t know about your family, but my family LOVES Mexican food. In fact, we probably eat at least one to two Mexican inspired meals per week.
When my hubby and I lived in Seattle, good Mexican food was hard to find. Each summer, we would fly to my parents house in Houston and one of our first stops, was their local Mexican restaurant. Authentic, flavorful Mexican food that satisfied our cravings!
Seasoned, shredded chicken wrapped in flour tortillas and covered in a sour cream sauce with melted cheese on top. Tex Mex at its finest!
One of the first things we ordered was their Sour Cream Enchiladas. When the plate came out, it looked incredible.
The enchiladas themselves included seasoned, shredded chicken wrapped in homemade flour tortillas. The enchiladas were then smothered in a cream sauce with melted cheese on top.
Each plate came with our choice of two or three enchiladas, rice, and beans. Let me tell you, my first mistake was ordering only two enchiladas. They were so good and I instantly regretted not having leftovers to bring back home with us.
Wondering what to serve these with? How about one of these options:
Once our trip to Houston was over, we flew back home to Seattle and immediately missed the Tex Mex. Although Seattle has good food, it just wasnt the same.
I began testing and tweaking various recipes to see if I could recreate our favorite dish and after several attempts, these Sour Cream Enchiladas came about and are pretty darn close if I do say so myself.
Of course, I don’t make my own tortillas, so some of the authentic flavor isnt there, but these are incredible!
Since making these, anytime the craving hits, I prepare a batch and the entire family goes crazy! The hubby and I also ended up moving to Houston to be closer to family, so on those nights where I don’t feel like cooking, but still have a Tex Mex craving, now we can load up in the car, drive a few minutes down the road, and enjoy our fav restaurant! It’s a win win, right?!
Shredded chicken enchiladas covered in an incredible sour cream sauce, whats not to love?! Print the recipe below to give these a try!
Sour Cream Enchiladas
- 1 lb chicken, boneless/skinless, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 15 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz green chiles
- In a medium skillet, cook chicken and onion in the vegetable oil until chicken is cooked through and onion is tender. *I added 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning for added flavor at this step! (see recipe below)
- Divide chicken evenly between tortillas.
- Place 1-2 tablespoon cheese on top of chicken in tortilla. Roll tortilla closed and place seam side down in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In medium skillet, melt butter.
- Add in flour to create a roux. Allow to cook about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in chicken broth and heat until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chiles. Pour sauce evenly over tortillas.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of sauce.
- Bake in a preheated oven (400) for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Homemade taco seasoning recipe: https://thecookinchicks.com/taco-seasoning/