If you love enchiladas, you’ll love these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas! Tex Mex at its finest with shredded chicken and tortillas smothered in a creamy white sauce!
Last week, I had planned on making my Sour Cream Enchiladas, but when I went to grab the sour cream, I realized I didn’t have enough.
Since I was having a “lazy day”, I didn’t feel like going to the grocery store just for sour cream, so I improvised.
Combining a little of this and a little of that, plus some Pinterest inspiration, these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas came about and may go down as the BEST ever!
That surprised even me if I am being honest because once I have favorites, rarely do I stray away, haha!
I had put some chicken breasts with taco seasoning in my slow cooker that morning, so all I had to do was shred it by dinner!
Combining the chicken with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and a bit more seasoning…it was ready to be filled in the tortillas!
Super quick and simple, I moved on to the sauce!
I created a taco seasoned roux, followed by adding in the bit of sour cream I had. Since I had green chiles in my pantry, I decided to toss those in as well!
Not only was the white sauce incredibly creamy, but it was packed with flavor!
With a bit more cheese on top, these were ready for the oven in less than 15 minutes!
I served our enchiladas with my Instant Pot Mexican Rice and refried beans, which complimented these perfectly!
Next time that Tex Mex craving hits, give these enchiladas a try!
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 lb chicken *cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese *shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Fajita or Taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour *all purpose
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning *see link below recipe card for homemade version
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 oz green chiles *diced/drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked/shredded chicken with cream cheese, 1 teaspoon Fajita or taco seasoning, and 1 cup Mexican cheese.
- Once combined, divide chicken mixture evenly between tortillas and place the stuffed enchilada seam side down in your pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium.
- Once melted, stir in the flour and taco seasoning.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Allow mixture to simmer for about 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken up.
- Stir in the sour cream and green chiles and allow to warm up for about 1 minute or so.
- Pour sauce evenly on top of pan of enchiladas.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place pan into the oven.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve!
Homemade Taco Seasoning: https://thecookinchicks.com/taco-seasoning/