If you love enchiladas, you’ll love these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas! Tex Mex at its finest with shredded chicken and tortillas smothered in a creamy white sauce!
For years, my go to enchilada recipes have been my Easy Beef Enchiladas and Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. I make a few other variations as well, but these two always remain our fav!
Last week, I had planned on making my Sour Cream Enchiladas, but when I went to grab the sour cream, I realized I didn’t have enough.
Since I was having a “lazy day”, I didn’t feel like going to the grocery store just for sour cream, so I improvised.
Combining a little of this and a little of that, plus some Pinterest inspiration, these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas came about and may go down as the BEST ever!
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas includes Shredded Chicken, Cheese, and Tortillas covered in a mouthwatering cream sauce!
That surprised even me if I am being honest because once I have favorites, rarely do I stray away, ha-ha!
I had put some chicken breasts with taco seasoning in my slow cooker that morning, so all I had to do was shred it by dinner!
Combining the chicken with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and a bit more seasoning…it was ready to be filled in the tortillas!
Super quick and simple, I moved on to the sauce!
I created a taco seasoned roux, followed by adding in the bit of sour cream I had. Since I had green chiles in my pantry, I decided to toss those in as well!
Not only was the white sauce incredibly creamy, but it was packed with flavor!
Check out these other great Tex-Mex recipes from the blog:
With a bit more cheese on top, these were ready for the oven in less than 15 minutes!
I served our enchiladas with my Instant Pot Mexican Rice and refried beans, which complimented these perfectly!
Next time that Tex-Mex craving hits, give these enchiladas a try! Print the recipe below!
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 lb chicken *cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese *shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Fajita or Taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour *all purpose
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning *see link below recipe card for homemade version
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 oz green chiles *diced/drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked/shredded chicken with cream cheese, 1 teaspoon Fajita or taco seasoning, and 1 cup Mexican cheese.
- Once combined, divide chicken mixture evenly between tortillas and place the stuffed enchilada seam side down in your pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium.
- Once melted, stir in the flour and taco seasoning.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Allow mixture to simmer for about 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken up.
- Stir in the sour cream and green chiles and allow to warm up for about 1 minute or so.
- Pour sauce evenly on top of pan of enchiladas.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place pan into the oven.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve!
Homemade Taco Seasoning: https://thecookinchicks.com/taco-seasoning/