This Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake is an ooey, gooey, moist, and delicious cake that has a cream cheese mixture swirled throughout!
You probably read the name of this cake and thought “what is an earthquake cake”, right??
Well, the reason for the name is because this cake is not meant to be a pretty cake. Basically, it looks like peanut butter oozed out of this cake and ruined a perfectly good chocolate cake. BUT, let me tell you…..the peanut butter brought this cake to a whole new level!
It took a basic chocolate cake and made it A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Moist, delicious chocolate cake that you don’t have to frost, because the cream cheese mixture becomes a layer of frosting swirled throughout, INSIDE the cake!
When I pulled this out of the oven, I literally was shocked. My peanut butter scoops had sunk to the bottom, the “pretty” cake I was expecting, was not there.
I added some Reese’s to the top and those started melting and sliding all over the pan, etc. Needless to say, I was having a very tough time figuring out what I was going to do with this cake.
I set it aside, told my hubby that I made dessert but wasn’t sure about it, and moved on with my day.
After dinner, we pulled this out and cut our pieces. I warned my hubby a few times that this may be another one of those “recipe flops”, but when we took our first bite, we both looked at each other and agreed, this cake was a winner.
If you love chocolate and peanut butter, I definitely recommend trying this!!
If you love chocolate peanut butter, also make sure you try these other blog favorites:
Be sure to let me know what you think in the comment section below if you give this earthquake cake a try!!
Chocolate fudge cake (plus ingredients required on back of box)
Cream cheese, softened
Creamy peanut butter
How to prepare:
Prepare chocolate cake- as directed on box.
Grease a 9×13 baking pan- and pour batter into pan. Set aside.
Melt butter- in microwave safe bowl.
Add in- the cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla to the butter and stir until completely smooth and creamy.
Add in- the powdered sugar.
Once combined- use a spoon and drop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture onto the cake batter.
Sprinkle the cake- with chocolate chips and Reese’s.
Bake- in a preheated oven, 350, for about 45-50 minutes.
Remove from oven- and allow to cool slightly before serving!
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake recipe is packed with flavor in every bite! Simple to prepare, this family favorite is an ooey gooey, chocolate treat! Print the recipe below and be sure to give it a try!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix *plus ingredients needed on box
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese *softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mini Reese's cups
- Prepare chocolate cake as directed on box.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and pour batter into pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in microwave safe bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla to the butter and stir until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar.
- Once combined, use a spoon and drop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture onto the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the cake with chocolate chips and Reese’s.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 350, for about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving!
Recipe updated 11/1/21