These Lunch Lady Brownies are a chocolate lovers dream come true. Rich, fudge like, and topped with an incredible frosting!
Do you remember the brownies served at school?? I don’t really remember the food served (perhaps I blocked it out), but the brownies….I most definitely remember those!
Anytime I saw them on the menu, no matter what was for lunch, I purchased it because I wanted a brownie.
They were incredible! The frosting was by far my favorite part and that’s saying something because I am NOT a frosting fan usually.
The brownies themselves are somewhat cake like, chocolate packed, and moist. Put the brownie and frosting together and it was the BEST dessert!
Fast forward several years, I was browsing through some old family cookbooks. One recipe seemed somewhat similar to the school version I grew up on, so of course I set out to make it!
With a few tweaks, these Lunch Lady Brownies came about and are JUST like the classic recipe I remembered!
My whole family enjoyed them for dessert a few nights ago and since then, my kids have already requested them for dessert again!
Since these brownies are frosted, you really don’t need ice-cream on top (although I won’t judge if you want that scoop)!
Although my kids don’t have the same memories I have regarding the brownies, it was fun sharing some lunch room stories with them as I prepared these!
Do you have a sweet tooth? Also check out these dessert favorites:
These Lunch Lady Brownies are a blast from the past that you’ll be glad you tried! Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Lunch Lady Brownies are the classic blast from the past sweet treat that we all grew up enjoying! Print the recipe below and be sure to satisfy that sweet tooth craving!
Lunch Lady Brownies
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder *unsweetened
- 2 cups flour *all purpose
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder *unsweetened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter and cocoa powder using a hand mixer (or stand).
- Add in the flour and sugar.
- Once combined, add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix until just combined. *batter is thick
- Place pan in oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean once inserted in center of brownies.
- Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before frosting (you want the brownies warm, not hot).
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl until smooth.
- Spread frosting evenly on top of somewhat cooled brownies.
- Let brownies fully cool before serving! Enjoy!