My family absolutely loves dump cakes. I have made several versions of them over the years, and most include Bisquick for the topping, rather then cake. Since I have heard of using cake instead, I decided to put it to the test. Not only was it just as simple, but the flavor was great. I had it ready to go in the oven in just a few minutes, and once it was cooked, the entire family loved it. With a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, it was the perfect dessert. This blueberry version just may go down as my new favorite since it used our blueberries we picked this past summer. While I was out of town this past summer with the kids, my hubby went over to the local blueberry farm and picked two huge bags of blueberries. Not only were they the biggest, juiciest blueberries I had ever had, but they were inexpensive and organic, since it was from a u-pick farm. If you have local pick farms near you, I highly recommend taking the family out to do some picking!!
Whether you use frozen or fresh berries in this, I am sure this will be a favorite of yours too. If you prefer raspberry, blackberry, peach, etc., feel free to substitute in place of the blueberry!!
- 3 1/2 cups blueberries (mine frozen, fresh works too)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix (or spice cake works too) (18.25 oz box)
- 3/4 cup butter
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Place berries on bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top of berries and toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle cake mix on top of berries and cover evenly.
- Cut butter into small slices and arrange on top of the cake mix.
- Place pan in preheated oven, 350, and bake for about 45 minutes, or until cake is golden brown.
- Scoop out desired size and place a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top (if desired). Serve!!