Packed with cheesy goodness, this Cheesy Tortellini Casserole is baked to perfection and a family favorite! Comfort food at its finest! Grab a fork and dig in!
Years ago, back when my blog was still new, I would make a new recipe, cook several batches, and then neighbors in the area would buy them from me for their dinner.
It worked out great because families with working parents were able to swing by, grab a pan, and have a homemade dinner for their family without any of the work/clean up.
For my family, it was perfect because it helped offset some of the financial pressure on my hubby from me being a stay at home mom. Plus, I was able to get lots of great feedback on the recipes before I even posted them to the blog.
This cheesy casserole is actually one of the first dishes I made and offered to other families and wow was it a favorite! If I remember right, I made about 12 trays of this and sold out within about 30 minutes!
When everyone had eaten theirs, my phone blew up requesting me to make it again, asking if I had any more trays available, and more! I definitely knew this would be a hit on the blog as well!
Not only does this meal come together in only a few minutes, but it also is budget friendly/kid friendly!
Love casseroles? Check out these other favorites:
If you’re a vegetarian, simply omit the meat and it will still be great! If you want to add in some greens, you can definitely toss some spinach into this and make it a full meal!
The best part, this casserole freezes perfectly, so you can freeze the leftovers, or double the recipe and cook one while one goes into your freezer! So many great options!
For those busy nights where you want something quick and easy, or simply want to enjoy a good meal…try this casserole! You’ll love it!
Ground beef or turkey
Cheese tortellini (I use frozen)
Diced tomatoes, do not drain
Garlic cloves, minced
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese, shredded
If you’re looking for a quick and easy, yet totally scrumptious weeknight meal..this Cheesy Tortellini Casserole is just the thing to try! Print the recipe below and be sure to add it to your meal plan!
Cheesy Tortellini Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 19 oz cheese tortellini
- 26 oz pasta sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes *do not drain
- 6 garlic cloves *minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Basil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese *shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese *shredded
- In a pan over medium heat, cook beef/turkey until no longer pink.
- Drain fat/grease and return meat back to pan.
- Add pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, Basil, onion powder, and sugar.
- Allow meat sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Spread 1/3 sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Add 1/2 the tortellini on top of the sauce (at this point, the tortellini is frozen or thawed, either works great).
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella/Parmesan cheese on top of the tortellini.
- Repeat layers, making sure to end with remaining sauce and cheese on top.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven, 400, for 30 minutes. (40 minutes if tortellini is frozen).
- Remove foil and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!!
Recipe updated 10/13/21