Creamy Baked Tortellini is a delicious and indulgent dish that combines tender tortellini pasta with a rich and creamy sauce, baked to perfection. This Italian-inspired recipe is perfect for any occasion, from a cozy family dinner to a special gathering with friends. This quick and easy meal calls for only 7 ingredients and can be ready for the oven in under 10 minutes! Perfect with a side of cheesy garlic bread!
Creamy Tortellini Bake
This quick and easy pasta recipe is one that everyone will enjoy! Combining tender cheese filled tortellini with Italian seasoned ground beef, cream cheese, and your favorite pasta sauce….you’ll have a one pan meal that serves everyone!
This tortellini recipe is one that can be doubled to serve a crowd, or even halved and enjoyed with a smaller group of people. Instead of a 9×13 pan, you can also make two 8×8 pans and place one in the freezer for a later date. So many options that can fit anyone’s schedule!
Ingredients in Creamy Baked Tortellini
See printable recipe card below for exact ingredient amounts and step by step instructions.
- Tortellini- I use cheese stuffed, however, any type works great
- Beef- ground, cooked and drained of grease
- Italian Seasoning- add more or less depending on taste desired
- Pasta Sauce- any type works, I prefer a roasted garlic blend, but use your favorite
- Cream Cheese- room temperature as that will melt into the sauce easier
- Mozzarella Cheese- shredded, fresh is best
- Parmesan Cheese- shredded is best versus the green can
How to make Creamy Baked Tortellini
This recipe is incredibly simple to make and can be changed to fit anyone’s tastes!
- Cook Tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the creamy pasta sauce according to recipe directions below.
- Combine the cooked tortellini with the cream sauce and pour mixture into a pan.
- Top with cheeses and bake in oven!
- Use Italian sausage in place of the ground beef.
- Add in chopped veggies (mushrooms, spinach, peppers, garlic, zucchini, etc.).
- Use meat filled tortellini in place of the cheese tortellini.
- Add in some red pepper flakes for a slight burst of heat.
- Sliced smoked sauce works great in place of the sausage or beef.
What to serve with Tortellini Bake
The great thing about this dish is that it pairs with several different options! Make a fresh, flavor packed side salad, cheesy garlic bread, or simple roasted veggies. This is a versatile dish that can be served with just about anything desired! My family loves enjoying this meal with my Chopped Caprese Salad and Garlic Pull Apart Bread!
Storage for leftovers
Leftovers are just as yummy the next day which makes it perfect for a quick lunch, or dinner option!
Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in microwave.
Freezer: store leftovers in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in microwave.
Can I use refrigerated pasta for this recipe?
YES!! In fact, if using refrigerated, there is no need to cook the tortellini beforehand. Simply assemble casserole as directed, without boiling pasta.
How do I soften cream cheese?
Place on the counter, room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. This is my go-to method as I am able to move on with other things and come back to it when ready. To soften in the microwave, remove the foil wrapping and microwave 10-15 seconds. If the cream cheese is still cold, microwave in 5 second increments until cream cheese is soft.
How do I make this Baked Tortellini vegetarian?
If you use cheese filled tortellini, omit the meat, and use a meat-free sauce…this meal is vegetarian. Perfect whether you are a meat lover, or eat meatless!
Can I make this tortellini dish ahead of time?
Yes! You can make and assemble this meal up to 1 day in advance and place covered in the refrigerator.
Does tortellini need to be boiled before baking?
In this recipe, yes! Frozen tortellini should always be cooked to al dente before baking, however, I have found that using refrigerated tortellini omitted this step, therefore, if refrigerated no, frozen, yes!
More Baked Pasta Dishes
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Stuffed Lasagna Shells
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Mediterranean Pesto Pasta
- Lemon Spaghetti
Try this incredible, cheesy, creamy baked tortellini with cream cheese today! It is a family friendly meal that comes together in no time, is packed with ooey gooey cheesy flavor in every bite, and can easily be adapted to fit anyone’s tastes! Whether this is served for a family dinner, potluck, picnic, or saved as a freezer meal, this is one dish that is a MUST TRY!
Easy Creamy Baked Tortellini
- 20 oz cheese tortellini *frozen or refrigerated
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 oz pasta sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain water and set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the beef over medium heat and drain fat once no longer pink.
- Add in the Italian seasoning and stir to incorporate.
- Stir in the pasta sauce and cream cheese.
- Once cream cheese has melted and all is combined, add in the tortellini and stir.
- Pour mixture in a 9x13 baking pan and spread into even layer.
- Sprinkle both mozzarella cheese and Parmesan on top of pan.
- Bake in preheated oven, 350 degrees, for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe updated 4/27/23