These Baked Chocolate Crumb Donuts are incredibly moist, flavorful, and packed with chocolate! Whether enjoyed for breakfast, a snack, or dessert….these donuts will definitely satisfy any sweet tooth!
Having three young kids, donuts are something thoroughly enjoyed in my house. We have tried many varieties over the years from chocolate glazed, apple cider, cinnamon sugar, coffee cake, and even chocolate peppermint!
Last weekend, my daughter was in the mood to bake and asked if we could make donuts. Never passing up an opportunity to get in the kitchen, I agreed and she helped me whip these up.
She loves anything that is or resembles Oreo, so I knew she would enjoy these. Not only were they simple to prep, but the donut itself was moist, packed with chocolate, the topping was just the right amount to make these irresistible, and all in all, we all gave these two thumbs up.
Awhile back, I bought donut pans off Amazon and let me tell you, those were such a great investment! Only around $13, we have used those pans several times and saved money compared to buying store bought donuts!
If you’re a chocolate lover, these are perfect for you! Whether enjoyed as a sweet treat, snack, or even breakfast…..these are a definite must try!
Be sure to let me know what you think of them and if you’re on Instagram, use the hashtag #thecookinchicks so I too can see your creations!
Baked Chocolate Crumb Donuts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE CRUMB TOPPING
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- TO MAKE THE DONUTS:
- Grease a donut pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour batter (it will be thick) into the prepared donut pan and bake in oven for about 12 minutes (or until cooked through).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack before pouring glaze and crumb topping on top.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- TO MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Toss together with a fork until crumb like.
- Press the topping into the glaze while still wet.
To order the donut pan I use, click here https://amzn.to/2mViSlO