Whether you choose to make this in the slow cooker or Instant Pot, this soup is packed with flavor and perfect for those cooler weather evenings!
As you may know from scrolling through the blog, I am a huge fan of soups. My husband however, is not. So, to compromise, I typically try to make my soups more hearty, less broth like.
A few weeks back, I was craving soup. It was a gloomy day, overcast, gray skies, and a bit cooler. Perfect soup weather, right?!
I tossed the ingredients into my slow cooker after getting the kids off to school and was able to move on with my day. Come dinnertime, I simply shredded the chicken, used the ladle to fill our bowls, and added our desired toppings. All five of my family members loved this, kids included.
It was packed with flavor! We added some shredded cheese, diced avocados, cilantro, and sour cream to ours! I served fresh fruit and some tortillas with this and it made for a great pairing! We ripped the tortillas into small pieces and ate them with our bites of soup, YUM!
If you look below, you’ll also see Instant Pot directions for those of you who prefer that method.
This soup is creamy, has a slight spice to it (my kids still enjoyed it), and is a flavorful meal choice! Plus, not only is this meal budget friendly, but leftovers reheat perfectly! Win win!
Hope you enjoy! Be sure to also sign up for my newsletter below! You’ll receive my latest recipes sent directly to your inbox and once a month, I do a free prize giveaway for my subscribers. Coming up this month is an Instant Pot! You don’t want to miss that!!
Instant Pot: https://amzn.to/2XN1lgH
Slow Cooker: https://amzn.to/2NT7F1I
Zesty Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning see homemade recipe below
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 cups sweet corn (frozen or canned works)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 8 oz cream cheese
- toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, tomatoes
- SLOW COOKER: Place all ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for about 4 hours. Shred chicken and whisk cream cheese to blend into soup fully. Serve in bowls with desired toppings.
- INSTANT POT: Place chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes with juices, salt, chicken broth, corn, and salsa verde into pot. Set to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow a 15 minute natural pressure release followed by a quick pressure release. Remove chicken and shred on plate. Stir softened cream cheese into pot and whisk to fully incorporate. Return the chicken to the pot and stir. Serve in bowls with desired toppings.
Here is the recipe for homemade taco seasoning, https://thecookinchicks.com/taco-seasoning/