Dark Chocolate Chunks and Sweet Cherries make an incredible combination in these Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies! Soft, flavorful, and simple to prepare, you won’t be able to stop at just one!
Are you a fan of cherries?? Honestly, growing up, I had never even tried them. Fresh that is. Cherries to me, were the ones you placed on your ice- cream sundae. The kind that came in a jar, maraschino cherries to be exact.
Once I became a mom, I started venturing out into trying new fruits and veggies. Mainly because my oldest son is a HUGE fruit lover and loves trying new things!
The first time I bought a bag of fresh cherries, I went home, washed them, and immediately popped one into my mouth. I didn’t realize there was a seed in the middle, so imagine my surprise as I bit into it with a loud crunch noise.
I ended up removing the seeds using a knife, until I found a quick and simple cherry pitter at the store that I have now fallen in love with. Simply pop the cherry into it, squeeze gently, and boom, you have a cherry ready to enjoy!
Sweet cherries are a favorite in my house because they can literally be used for so many different recipes!
We canned them and made boozy cherries (recipe coming soon), made a smoked cherry cobbler, cherry pies, serve over pork, and even pop into the freezer to enjoy over the winter season!
Northwest Cherries are the most fresh, tastiest cherries around and I definitely recommend giving them a try! Typically you can find them in the produce section at your grocery store!
As I was grocery shopping last week, I found the cherries and scooped up two bags. When I got home and washed them, my hubby already had called dibs on one bag to use for boozy cherries, and my son began digging into the second bag.
I quickly grabbed some to use for cookies as I was in the mood to try something new. I had decided to make chocolate chip cookies earlier in the day, but when I went looking for the chocolate chips, all I could find was dark chocolate chunks.
Since dark chocolate and cherry seem to pair perfectly together, why not use both in cookies, right?!
Not only were these cookies incredibly soft, fluffy, and flavorful, but the cherries were the perfect addition!
Truth be told, I enjoyed a few with my morning coffee for a few days while they were around, haha!
If you love cherries, you’ll definitely want to give these Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies a try!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups flour *all purpose
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter *melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 cup cherries *fresh, diced, pits removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set out 2 cookie sheets.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add in the egg, butter, milk, and oats. *Batter will be thick, that is okay.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a wood spoon, carefully fold in the cherries making sure not to overmix as they may turn batter red.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough onto cookie sheets, placing each scoop about 1 inch apart to avoid spreading.
- Place cookie sheets into oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.