All the flavors of the classic dish you love, made even easier using the Instant Pot! This Instant Pot Lasagna is delicious comfort food at its finest!
Growing up, lasagna was one of those meals made only for special occasions or if we had several guests coming over. Between boiling the noodles, making the meat mixture, cheese mixture, and assembling…the dish took a while to make.
Now, lasagna is made even easier since you can make it in the Instant Pot! This one-pot meal layers rich spaghetti sauce, creamy cheese filling, tender lasagna noodles, and a savory ground beef filling for a quick Italian dinner the entire family will enjoy!
Why this is the BEST Instant Pot Lasagna
- Easy- this is the easiest way to make everyone’s favorite layered pasta dish. No boiling noodles beforehand, and all of the cooking happens right there in the pressure cooker! In fact, clean-up is almost as easy as the actual dinner-making.
- Flavor Packed- this meal is packed with savory, creamy, cheesy flavor in every bite!
- Easy to Change Up- you can use your favorite sauce, meat mixture, and even cheeses to make this your own. Perhaps even add in some veggies such as zucchini or mushroom.
- Quick- only 25 minutes to pressurize and you won’t need to eat leftovers for weeks since this makes the perfect amount.
Using basic ingredients, this recipe will have everyone requesting the recipe and wanting seconds!
- Ricotta Cheese- adds such rich, creamy flavor
- Mozzarella- shredded
- Basil/Thyme/Oregano/Italian Seasoning- don’t be shy on adding these, they really enhance the overall taste of this dish
- Salt/Pepper- to taste
- Beef- I use 80/20, however, any leanness works, just be sure to drain grease.
- Garlic- fresh is best, minced
- Spaghetti Sauce- use your favorite store-bought sauce or make your own. For the best results, use a good, thick marinara. Thinner sauces will be runny and can turn the lasagna into a mess when it comes time to serve it.
- Lasagna Noodles- I use no boil noodles, however, any type works as the sauce will soften the noodles as they cook
- Mozzarella Cheese- shredded
How to make Instant Pot Lasagna
- Make Cheese Filling- combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare Meat Filling- brown beef in a skillet until no longer pink. Add in the minced garlic and stir to combine evenly.
- Assemble- spray your 7-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Layer the bottom of your pan with 3-4 noodles, broken to fit pan. Cover with 1 cup pasta sauce. Spread 1/2 the meat mixture on top of sauce, pressing down slightly. Spread 1/2 the cheese layer evenly over meat. Repeat layer process one time using up remaining meat/cheese mixture. Add 1 final layer of noodles and cover with sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Spray a sheet of tin foil with cooking spray and cover the pan tightly. Pour 1 1/2 cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot pan. Place the covered springform pan on the trivet and use the handles to lower it into the pan. Place the lid securely on and ensure valve is in sealing position
- Cook-manual, high pressure for 25 minutes. Do a quick release and once pin drops, open lid and remove lasagna/tin foil. Place on baking sheet in oven on broil until cheese begins to brown. Remove from oven and allow to “rest” about 10 minutes to absorb juices. Remove springform sides of pan and slice to desired size. Serve and enjoy
Preparing Lasagna in Advance
You can assemble, cover, and refrigerate this lasagna up to 24 hours before pressure cooking. Keep in mind the springform pan will leak into the refrigerator, so you’ll want to use a cake pan instead. When ready to cook the lasagna, remove it from the refrigerator, unwrap, cover with foil if desired, and pressure cook for 27 minutes instead of 25 minutes on high pressure.
Leftover cooled lasagna can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Additionally, you can wrap slices of the lasagna in plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then unwrap the foil and plastic wrap.
Heat in the microwave or oven to warm through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any substitutes for the ricotta cheese?
Feel free use cottage cheese in place of ricotta cheese if desired. It is best to let your cottage cheese strain over a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth for a few hours before using the filling. This helps the cottage cheese have less liquid, making your lasagna’s layers stay intact better.
What other meats can I use?
Ground pork, ground turkey or Italian sausage are all great choices for this delicious lasagna.
Can I use something other than red sauce for this?
Yes! You can use Alfredo sauce and make this more of a white pasta!
Can I add vegetables into this to make it a complete meal?
Absolutely! Simply sauté the veggies and add them in as you prepare the layers!
Can I make this in a 3-quart Instant Pot?
If you want to make this in a smaller Instant Pot, it works, but make sure you halve all of the ingredients. Cook time would stay the same.
How to serve
When serving lasagna, I love to add a side salad and/or garlic bread! To me, that is the ultimate combination! Of course, feel free to go your own route and serve this with anything you desire! Perhaps garlic pull apart bread, buttery bread machine dinner rolls, or even Garlic Cheese Crescents
More Instant Pot Recipes to try
Instant Pot Stuffed Shells– same great flavor of the classic favorite, now made faster in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein– noodle dish packed with classic Chinese flavor
Beef Enchilada Instant Pot Casserole– layers of beef, sauce, cheese, and corn tortillas combine into a Tex-Mex dish the whole family will love
Instant Pot Sausage, Green Beans, and Potatoes– one pot meal that comes together in no time
If you don’t have the springform pan, I highly recommend buying one because not only can you make this lasagna, but you can make my Chocolate Peanut Butter Instant Pot Cheesecake and BEST EVER Instant Pot Cheesecake. Double win, right?!
BEST EVER Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe
- CHEESE LAYER
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- MEAT LAYER
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce
- 1 package no boil lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- To make the cheese layer, mix all ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside.
- To make meat layer, brown beef in a skillet until no longer pink.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir to combine evenly.
- To assemble lasagna, spray your 7 inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of your pan with 3-4 noodles, broken to fit pan.
- Cover with 1 cup pasta sauce.
- Spread 1/2 the meat mixture on top of sauce, pressing down slightly.
- Spread 1/2 the cheese layer evenly over meat.
- Repeat layer process one time using up remaining meat/cheese mixture.
- Add 1 final layer of noodles and cover with sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Spray a sheet of tin foil with cooking spray and cover the pan tightly.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot pan.
- Place the covered springform pan on the trivet and use the handles to lower it into the pan.
- Place the lid securely on and ensure valve is in sealing position.
- Cook manual, high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Do a quick release and once pin drops, open lid and remove lasagna/tin foil.
- Place on baking sheet in oven on broil until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to "rest" about 10 minutes to absorb juices.
- Remove springform sides of pan and slice to desired size.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe updated 10/17/2022