This shortcut version of the classic Mississippi Mud Cake is incredibly simple to prepare and packed with flavor! With chocolate, marshmallows, nuts, and more….what’s not to love?!?
This past weekend was Mother’s Day and what a great day I had! From a tasty breakfast, great weather, a grill out, and THIS cake….I had a fabulous day!
Being the chocolate lover I am, my hubby knew the way to spoil me was through my sweet tooth! Both my daughter and him made this cake for me earlier in the day and we all thoroughly enjoyed it for dessert that night!
This is the shortcut version of the classic cake since they used boxed chocolate cake mix, however, you can definitely use a homemade chocolate cake recipe in this and it would be fabulous!
From a moist cake, to the melted marshmallows, crunchy walnuts, and decadent fudge frosting….this cake will be the hit of any gathering!
Some people refer to this cake as a Rocky Road cake, but since it is known in my family as Mississippi Mud Cake, I kept that name!
Hope you all had a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend as well! Be sure to give this Mississippi Mud Cake a try and let me know what you think!
9×13 baking pan: https://amzn.to/2LldJzs
Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix *plus ingredients needed on box OR homemade chocolate cake
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and prepare cake mix as directed on box.
- Place cake in oven to cook (according to box directions for time).
- While cake is cooking, combine the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and softened butter in a medium bowl. *using a hand mixer makes this step easier
- Once the cake has baked, remove from oven and sprinkle the marshmallows evenly on top.
- Place the cake back into the oven for about 3 minutes, or until the marshmallows melt slightly.
- Remove cake from oven and drop spoonful's of frosting onto the top of the cake.
- Use a knife to swirl the marshmallow and frosting together.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top and allow to cool completely before serving.