Before I get to the recipe, I must state that these are not actual armadillo eggs. I don’t want you to take a look at the name and think “gross, I can’t try that”, because trust me, this is one recipe you don’t want to miss out on!!
Being in Texas nowadays, my hubby and I have been trying all sorts of new foods. A while back, we heard of armadillo eggs and had no clue what they were. I decided to jump onto Pinterest, because come on, Pinterest knows all right? Well, low and behold, I came across armadillo eggs. The version we made was for the smoker, however, I have also included instructions on how to cook these on the grill or in the oven. Either way, these will be a new favorite of yours, I just know it!!
Italian sausage, cheese stuffed jalapenos, all in crispy bacon….what’s not to love? With summer grilling coming up, fire up your grill and try these out!!
- 4 jalapenos, cored and seeded
- Goat cheese (we used about 4 oz.)
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (any type works, I used mild)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- Fill each jalapeno with goat cheese.
- Divide sausage into four patties.
- Press stuffed jalapeno into center of patty making sure it is completely enclosed.
- Wrap one piece of bacon tightly around sausage.
- Place on smoker at 250 for about 2 hours, place on grill on indirect heat for about 30 minutes, or place in oven at 400 for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!!