Each year, for my hubby’s birthday, I make a batch of chocolate cupcakes and add some white frosting to the top. Typically, I use a boxed mix since it makes things so much easier. As for the frosting, I use store bought vanilla since it is his favorite. I send him to work with the entire batch because I am a chocolate chocolate girl, no white frosting for me, haha!! This year, I decided to step up my game and make the cupcakes from scratch. When I told my hubby I was trying a new recipe, you could definitely tell he was a little hesitant. After assuring him they would be just as yummy, I whipped these up and to his surprise, he said these were even better than the boxed mix. Phew! The batter came together quickly and whether you choose to make these into cupcakes, or a yummy cake, either works great! This is definitely my new go to recipe!! As for the frosting, yes, I still used store bought. I have tried to make several batches of homemade frosting over the years and never can get the consistency correct. That is my next goal, homemade frosting!! Enjoy!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and sugar.
- Add in the oil, coffee, and milk.
- Using a hand mixer, mix at a medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and mix for an additional 2 minutes. *Batter will be thin, that is okay.
- Pour into lined/greased muffin cups, or a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25-45 minutes, depending on pan used.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating with frosting!!