This Candied Sweet Potato Casserole is packed with flavor! Simple to prepare, this dish will have your guests begging for seconds and needing the recipe!
This sweet potato casserole was a HUGE hit at Thanksgiving. Its almost like a dessert in itself, but its sweet potato, so its healthy….right?? Hehe!! This will be a dish I make every Thanksgiving, maybe even Christmas too!!! The topping was my favorite part, but when you have marshmallows and brown sugar combined, of course that is the best!!
Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
SWEET POTATO FILLING
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cumin
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes brown sugar, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring often, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, remove the lid and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer over medium high heat.
- Continue to simmer until the brown sugar mixture has reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the potato mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread the topping over the potatoes and bake until marshmallows are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Here is the Dutch Oven I use and love: https://amzn.to/2FbFTwC