One of my most favorite muffin flavors has always been lemon poppy seed. I love the slight crunch from the poppy seeds, as well as the sweetness from the lemon. To me, they are the perfect muffin for breakfast, brunch, snacks, to bring to friends house, and more. My hubby had always told me he wasn’t a fan of the flavor. This past weekend, I knew he needed to try them once more in his life to fully commit to “not really being a fan”. We whipped a batch of these up and surprise surprise, he ate 3!!! I’d say he no longer will be saying he doesn’t like them, right??
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp melted butter
- Powdered Sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tray with liners or grease.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
- In one last bowl (I know, lots of bowls, right??) combine the sugar, unsalted butter, and 1 tbsp lemon zest. Add eggs one at a time until mixture is fluffy.
- Slowly add the dry mixture and sour cream mixture into the sugar mixture a little at a time, until all is mixed well.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into each muffin cup until about 2/3 full.
- Bake in oven for about 20-23 minutes.
- While cooking, combine the melted butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice. Use just enough powdered sugar to form a glaze to your desired consistency.
- Once muffins are baked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour glaze lightly on top and enjoy!!
*To create a buttermilk substitute, add 1/2 tbsp vinegar to a mixing cup. Pour milk in same mixing cup until you reach the 1/2 cup line. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Use mixture in place of buttermilk