A few weeks ago, my hubby and I took the kids to the local strawberry pick farm. When we lived in Seattle, we used to go to our local farm, pick berries, and make tons of homemade jam. Since we had tons of jam already, I didn’t need a lot, but still wanted the kids to be able to pick.
Well, when you have 3 kids that are GREAT strawberry pickers, buckets fill up quite fast. In a matter of minutes, we had about ten pounds of berries to bring home. Yes, I was excited, but I had absolutely no clue what to do with them! I decided to freeze some, make some strawberry banana bread, and make a coffee cake.
The coffee cake was a huge hit with my family! Moist cake and sweet strawberries made this the perfect morning treat! This recipe makes an 8 x 8, but after making this one time, I say double it and make a 9 x 13 so you have plenty of leftovers. Trust me, you are going to want that!!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Place sliced strawberries evenly on top of batter.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and cold butter.
- Pulse until a crumb topping is formed. *If you prefer, you can skip using the food processor and use a pastry blender.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly on top of strawberries.
- Place pan in preheated oven, 375, and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before slicing/serving!