Chunky, soft bits of apple mixed throughout a moist, light, and fluffy cake; finished off with a crumb topping. This cake makes the perfect breakfast, snack, or sweet treat!!
A few weeks ago, I turned the big 3-1! My birthday this year conveniently landed on a Saturday, so the kids and hubby were home in the morning to start off my day! My hubby offered to make me a special breakfast and who was I to turn that down, right? I requested a coffee cake and he whipped this amazing treat together in no time! Even my kids helped!!
One bite in, I knew, this was a winner. The cake is incredibly moist, light, and fluffy. Packed with flavor too! The apple chunks paired with the crumb topping had each of us wishing we had cut bigger pieces, hehe!
I enjoyed mine with a warm cup of coffee, however, I think this would be just as yummy if served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in the evening, or as a sweet treat if you have friends/family over one morning/afternoon.
With Fall season heading our way (unless you live in Houston, TX like I do and have to pretend), this cake is the perfect way to celebrate the season changing! Put a sweater on, turn down the a/c if its still warm outside, and enjoy a slice of cake while looking at the leaves changing!
This apple cinnamon crumb cake is a change from all the pumpkin recipes everywhere, but just as Fall friendly! Now, don’t be overwhelmed when you see all the ingredients listed below, trust me, it looks much more complicated than it really is, and it is soooooo worth it!!
From my hubby to you all, enjoy!!
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake
Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 inch springform pan.
- To make the crumb topping: combine the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter and vanilla. Mix until all is combined and moistened. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Cream together the 4 tbsp butter with 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and sour cream. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, stir together the 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spread 1/2 of batter into prepared springform pan.
- Spread apple chunks evenly over batter followed by one cup of the crumb topping.
- Spread remaining batter on top of apple/crumb mixture ending with the remaining crumb topping.
- Place pan into preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean once inserted into center of cake.
- While cake is baking, make the glaze by combining the apple cider and powdered sugar.
- Once cake is baked, remove from oven and drizzle glaze evenly on top. Serve and of course, enjoy!!
Here is the Springform Pan I use: Click HERE
Do you follow me on Pinterest? If not, be sure to click here to stay up on all my recipes!!!