When I was little, my mom used to make these frequently on the weekends for breakfast. I remember coming down the stairs and smelling the amazing cinnamon scent throughout the kitchen. I would get so excited when I realized it was coming from these scones, and I would quickly devour 2 or 3!! Not only are they amazing straight from the oven, but they are still great the next day! Whether making these for a weekend breakfast, a get together with friends, or snack, I bet you love these as much as my family does!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tsp milk or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 and spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring until just combined/moistened.
- In a different small bowl, combine the pecans and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon mixture on top of dough and mix. (gently fold cinnamon mixture into dough)
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto the cookie sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for about 11-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and milk or orange juice until combined thoroughly.
- Drizzle glaze on top of scones.
- Serve! *Makes about 13 scones