Each weekend, my hubby makes the family breakfast. However, last weekend, since I was in the baking mood, I decided I wanted to surprise everyone with these yummy scones. Since my hubby has never tried scones, I chose to make the chocolate chip kind since, who doesn’t love chocolate, right?!?! Not only did these turn out amazing, but they really weren’t too sweet. They had just the right amount of chocolate chips in them and went perfectly with our cup of coffee. It made 12, so we were able to enjoy these both Saturday AND Sunday!! Whether making these for a yummy breakfast, morning gathering, or snack in the day, hopefully you enjoy them as much as my family does!!
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or put 1 tbsp white vinegar in a measuring cup and add enough milk to fill to the 1 cup line. Allow to sit 5 minutes. Use 3/4 cup of this substitute)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Cooking Spray
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the cold butter using a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add milk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead about 4 times. *Yes, mixture is somewhat sticky, make sure you floured your surface!!
- Place dough onto greased cookie sheet and form into a 9 inch circle, about 3/4″ thick.
- Using a sprayed pizza cutter, slice dough into 12 slices.
- Brush egg white on top of dough and sprinkle sugar evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 375, for about 18-22 minutes.
Recipe adapted from: Skinny Taste