This Lazy Day Cake, aka Hot Milk Sponge Cake, can be made quickly and has an All American taste!
Growing up, my mom made a homemade dinner AND dessert each and every night of the week. I think that is most likely where my passion for cooking/baking came from, although if you had asked me back then, I would’ve said otherwise, haha!
One of the desserts she would make was this tasty Lazy Day Cake. Moist, flavorful cake, with an incredible coconut topping!
She served this warm, straight from the oven, and we would immediately dig in!
Truth be told, I had forgotten all about it over the years, until recently, when she made it again!
She brought this cake over the other night for a dessert after dinner and it was a huge hit! Especially with my kids! My oldest son called dibs on the leftovers to enjoy the next night, and that is pretty impressive because he doesn’t typically enjoy sweets!
If you’re looking for an all American, tasty treat, that adds a bit of a change from the normal…this is just the thing you need!
Perfect to bring on picnics, to gatherings, potlucks, or to enjoy as a family!
From my family to yours, enjoy this Lazy Day Cake and be sure to let me know what you think!
Be sure to come connect with me on Instagram too! Click HERE!
Lazy Day Cake
- 1 cup flour *all purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl using an electric mixer, beat eggs on high speed for about 4 minutes, or until thick.
- Gradually add in the sugar, beating with mixer until sugar has dissolved.
- Add mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat milk with butter until butter melts, stir into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place pan in preheated oven to bake 20-25 minutes.
- While cake is baking, mix together the brown sugar and butter using a mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in the milk and coconut.
- Once cake has baked, remove from oven and put topping over warm cake.
- Place cake into oven and broil for about 3-4 minutes, or until top is golden.