Dessert to me is anything chocolate. I often joke with friends and family that if there is no chocolate involved, it’s not dessert. A few nights ago, my sweet tooth had me raiding the pantry and fridge/freezer to find anything that could be “dessert”. Unfortunately, I came up empty handed. Since I had some free time, I decided to whip up a batch of brownies. Now, if you scroll through my recipes, you will find tons of brownie recipes. The reason for that is because there are all sorts of varieties. There are fudge like ones, dense cake like brownies, loaded, peanut butter, chocolate chip, etc. Basically, a brownie for every occasion, hehe! On this particular evening, I didn’t have anything extra to add into these, so I wanted a simple, yet fudge like brownie. These are just the thing! I had these ready for the oven in no time, and about 30 minutes later, my hubby and I were enjoying these with a small scoop of ice-cream. Next time you are in the mood for dessert, definitely whip up a batch of these. Most likely, you will have everything on hand already!! Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup shortening (or coconut oil)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Melt the shortening in a large saucepan.
- Once melted, stir in the cocoa powder.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, making sure to stir thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, and walnuts (if using).
- Spread batter into greased baking pan. Batter is thick.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes prior to cutting into squares. Enjoy!