This Chocolate Khalua Poke Cake is a super moist chocolate cake, infused with a chocolate Kahlua mixture, and topped with Kahlua whipped cream!
This cake is a sweet tooth lovers dream come true! For real! All the layers combine into one tasty treat!
A few days ago, I was having a MAJOR sweet tooth craving. The kind that needs chocolate, and lots of it.
I figured I would grab a handful of chocolate chips and call it good. Boring, I know, but hey…quick and satisfying, right?
Well, my hubby heard me talking about wanting something sweet and decided to help me solve my craving! Good hubby points for him!
We had a chocolate cake mix in the pantry, so we chose to use that!
Wanting to enhance it from a boxed cake mix, we decided to turn it into a poke cake and add a whipped topping! To finish it, we sprinkled chocolate chips because who doesn’t love more chocolate on a already chocolate packed cake, hehe!
Once this was cooled, topped, and ready to enjoy…we took our first bite and it was incredible! I kid you not, this may just go down as one of my top three desserts. Thats impressive given I have TONS of dessert favorites on my blog —–> check them out- https://thecookinchicks.com/category/desserts/
This may start out being a shortcut by using cake mix, but you can make it your own by baking a homemade chocolate cake if desired.
Add sprinkles, maybe marshallows, omit the chocolate chips, etc. You can have fun with this and make it how you choose!
This Chocolate Kahlua Poke Cake is perfect for having guests over, friends/family, a special treat to enjoy, etc.
Recipe adapted from: Life Love and Sugar
Chocolate Kahlua Poke Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients on box
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Kahlua
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven according to cake directions.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan and prepare cake according to box.
- While cake is baking, add the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup Kahlua into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave until the mixture starts to boil, about 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave.
- Place the chocolate chips into a medium mixing bowl and pour condensed mixture over the chips.
- Stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate has melted.
- Using the back of a spoon, poke several holes into the top of the cake.
- Pour chocolate mixture evenly on top of cake, allowing mixture to seep into holes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in refrigerator.
- Once chilled fully, prepare whipped topping by combining all ingredients (minus chocolate chips) into a mixing bowl.
- Whip on high with electric mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly on top of cake and sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top if desired!