EASY Better Than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice- no need to get take-out when you can make this from scratch version right at home! One of the best weeknight dinners, this take-out classic is packed with flavor, not greasy, and is loaded with chicken, veggies, and tender rice! Perfect to make via stove-top, in a Wok, on your Blackstone, or Instant Pot!
The BEST Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice is one of our favorite dinner options! Incredibly quick and easy, this recipe comes together in under 20 minutes and can be adapted to fit what you already have on hand! Clean up is a breeze, and there are typically leftovers to enjoy the next day, so its a win-win!
The best part, you can enjoy this as a main meal, side dish, or as leftovers! You can make this using a skillet, Wok, or Blackstone griddle! So many different options, all with a mouthwatering end result!
What’s in Chicken Fried Rice?
For this Chicken Fried Rice Recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken– I love to use cooked, shredded chicken in mine, but you can also use diced, cooked chicken.
- Rice– leftover from the previous day is best, cooked white or brown rice works great
- Sesame Oil– you can also use vegetable oil, but sesame oil adds way more flavor
- Onion– diced
- Frozen Peas/Carrots– I love using the packaged veggies because it cuts down on time, if you want to use fresh, feel free, just cook them until tender
- Soy Sauce– try to use the low sodium version
- Egg– 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Green Onions– optional, but highly recommended
How to make Easy Chicken Fried Rice
Preheat a medium skillet or wok to medium heat.
Add the sesame oil, onion, and peas/carrots. Allow to cook until tender.
Slide the onion, carrots, and peas to one side of skillet and add in the lightly beaten eggs to the other side.
Using a spatula, scramble the eggs.
Once eggs are fully cooked, combine with the onion/peas/carrots.
Add the cooked rice and shredded chicken into the skillet and combine with the egg mixture.
Pour the soy sauce on top and stir to combine evenly.
- Add the green onions, if using, and serve!
Storing and Reheating Leftover Fried Rice
Fried rice is best when enjoyed the day it is made, however, leftovers are good too!! Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, you can place in the microwave or reheat on the stove-top until heated through. PRO TIP: adding about 1 tablespoon water when reheating will help keep the moisture in the rice and make leftovers just as scrumptious as when first served.
Tips for making Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- Leftover rice works best. Cold rice from the previous day works best because it will have had time to dry out a bit and not be as “wet”, sticking together. Of course, if this isn’t an option, no worries, it will still be great.
- Feel free to use any other protein if don’t have chicken on hand. Ham, pork, ground beef, or omitting altogether making it vegetarian works great too!
- Change up the veggies to fit your tastes. Add in peppers, garlic, zucchini, or any other veggie desired.
- You can make this Gluten Free by using a Gluten Free Soy Sauce.
- Make this low carb by using cauliflower rice in place of white or brown rice.
- Don’t skip the green onions. Though they are small, they add such a great boost of flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Fried Rice Unhealthy? Nope! In fact, you can make it even healthier by using brown rice and reduced sodium soy sauce. Another great option is to use cauliflower rice in place of the white/brown rice.
What can I use in place of chicken? Shrimp, diced ham, pork, or ground beef are all great options to use in place of the chicken. You can also omit altogether for a meatless meal.
How much dry rice equals the 3 cups cooked? About 1 1/2 cups dry rice equals 3 cups cooked.
How do I add a bit more flavor? Feel free to add more soy sauce to this recipe to fit desired taste. You can also add a splash of Sriracha sauce to each plate upon serving.
Can I freeze the leftovers? Yes!! Simple place in a freezer safe container or bag and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw and reheat prior to serving. Works great!
How to make Blackstone Chicken Fried Rice
- Preheat the Blackstone over medium low. Add 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and spread it around a bit.
- Add on the peas/carrots. Saute for about 4 minutes. Move the veggies to the other side of the griddle and add the egg.
- Scramble and then move to combine with the veggies.
- Pour cooked rice onto the Blackstone and top with the sesame oil and soy sauce. Allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine with the egg/veggies and cooked chicken. Serve!
What to serve with Chicken Fried Rice
Although this recipe is great served on its own, it also pairs perfectly with lots of different options. Here are a few great ones to try:
Baked Eggs Rolls– easy to make, truly crispy and absolutely delicious. They’re the perfect crowd pleasing appetizer or side dish.
Simple Orange Chicken– Panda Express Chinese take-out classic, made in your own kitchen. This delicious and Easy Orange Chicken recipe is our family’s favorite
Baked Honey Sesame Chicken– Sweet, savory, and perfect for any night of the week. Skip the take-out and try this easy homemade version instead!
Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein– a noodle dish packed with classic Chinese flavor!
Better Than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (more if desired)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon green onions, chopped (optional)
- Preheat a medium skillet or wok to medium heat.
- Add the sesame oil, onion, and peas/carrots.
- Allow to cook until tender.
- Slide the onion, carrots, and peas to one side of skillet and add in the lightly beaten eggs to the other side.
- Using a spatula, scramble the eggs.
- Once eggs are fully cooked, combine with the onion/peas/carrots.
- Add the cooked rice and shredded chicken into the skillet and combine with the egg mixture.
- Pour the soy sauce on top and stir to combine evenly.
- Add in the green onions, if using. Serve!