These Instant Pot Refried Beans bring BIG flavor, with little to no work! Creamy, flavorful, and effortless….these pair well with nachos, tacos, burritos, and more!
If you’ve ever been to a Mexican restaurant, you know about refried beans! Typically you get a side of beans and rice with your meal! Well, I perfected the Mexican rice in the Instant Pot, but now….add in the beans! Best part, these beans are incredibly simple to make!
Refried beans are a dish of cooked and mashed beans that is a traditional staple of Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine, although each cuisine has a different approach when making the dish. This Instant Pot version makes them ready in a fraction of the time!
Last week, I was at the store and noticed Instant Pot having a sale on their 6 quart version. I already have one, but decided to splurge and get a second one. When I brought it home and showed my hubby, he asked what I planned to make. So, that night, to show him what a great investment it was, I whipped up these beans and had the other cooking rice, haha!
He immediately agreed that it was a smart decision to get two. I’m sure it was because he was happily scraping his plate of tacos, rice, and beans, but hey…he agreed, so I’ll take it!
I didn’t have to worry about pre soaking the beans, just simply tossed them in with other ingredients! I started these once we got home from school pick up and by the time they were done, I had dinner on the table in minutes!
My youngest enjoyed his beans spread on a tortilla shell, topped with rice, and a few spoonful’s of taco seasoned chicken. I however, enjoyed mine as a side dish!
I sprinkled a little Cotija cheese on top and even added a few jalapeno slices on top for an added kick!
Love Mexican dishes?? Me too!! Check out these other favorites:
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken *perfect for tacos, nachos, enchiladas, and more
If you prefer your beans creamy and smooth, feel free to use an Immersion blender. I prefer my beans a bit chunky, so I stuck with using a potato masher.
We had enough leftovers to enjoy these again the next evening, but you can also freeze these as well!
BEST EVER Instant Pot Refried Beans compliment any meal and are ready to devour in no time! Print the recipe below and be sure to give them a try!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you’ll also love this stove top version, https://thecookinchicks.com/the-best-refried-beans/
BEST EVER Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 1 lb pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 loves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt, to taste
- Heat Instant Pot using the saute feature.
- Once screen reads hot, add in the olive oil.
- Add in the onion and allow to cook until softened.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and minced garlic, stirring to incorporate.
- Pour in the chicken broth and rinsed beans, giving it a stir to combine.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and ensure valve is in sealing position.
- Turn off saute function and cook manual, high pressure, for 50 minutes.
- Once timer goes off, allow a natural pressure release for 25 minutes, followed by a quick release if pin hasn't dropped.
- Strain the bean liquid into a container and use a potato masher to mash beans.
- Add desired amount of salt and liquid strained from beans until desired texture/consistency is reached.
- Serve garnished with cheese and jalapeno if desired!