This Banana Pudding is made from scratch, packed with flavor, and a perfect dessert to enjoy year round! Layers of Vanilla Wafers, banana slices, and vanilla pudding…what’s not to love??
My mom used to make a version of this pudding when I was younger. I remember loving it and eating it up happily. Since I have been married, I had forgotten about it, and therefore, never made it myself. My hubby had mentioned a few times banana pudding was a favorite of his, so I decided to attempt to make it and see if I could make it as tasty as my moms is! This sure was a hit.
The pudding is made from scratch, no boxed mixes needed, which was nice, because I ended up having all the necessary ingredients just laying around the house. This was the perfect dessert to enjoy on a hot evening. I highly recommend trying this, its the perfect sweet treat!
Layers of vanilla wafers, sliced bananas, and homemade vanilla pudding….combined into a dish that is sure to be a hit with all! You can make this in an 8×8 baking pan, or serve it in mini glass dishes for individual servings!
You can make this ahead of any gathering you have and its best when allowed to chill overnight! From start to finish, this can be ready to chill in less than 20 minutes! Doesn’t get easier than that, right?!
Enjoy and be sure to let me know what you think!! While you’re here, scroll below and sign up for my newsletter! You’ll receive my newest recipes sent directly to your inbox! PLUS, be automatically entered into my free, monthly prize giveaway exclusive to subscribers only!
8×8 serving pan: https://amzn.to/304z6KZ
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box Vanilla wafers *about 8 oz.
- 4 bananas, sliced
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar, flour, and salt.
- Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat.
- Allow to cook until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Add in a small amount of the hot mixture to the eggs and mix.
- Add egg mixture to hot mixture and return to heat. Heat until a gentle boil starts, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in vanilla and remove from heat. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- In an ungreased 8 inch square pan, layer about 25 vanillas wafers on bottom, followed by half of the banana slices.
- Pour half the pudding mixture on top. Follow layers one more time, ending with pudding layer.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Prior to serving, crush remaining wafers on top of pudding. Serve cold!
If you’re looking for a shortcut version, also check out this one: https://thecookinchicks.com/best-banana-pudding/