Last week, I went to the store and my 3 year old son begged me to buy a box of Rice Krispy cereal. I told him a few times “remember, you have had that before and don’t like it”, but he insisted, he “needed” it. So, into the cart it went. When we got home, he asked for a small bowl of it and after one bite, yep….not a fan of it. Since I had a full box of cereal, I decided Patriotic Rice Krispy treats were just the thing to make. Not only were these so easy to make, but they are festive for the Holiday, and kid-friendly. My son LOVED these, just not the plain cereal, he-he!! These are the perfect treats to bring to a BBQ, or make if you are having a get together!! Enjoy!!
- 6 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp butter
- Red and Blue food coloring (I use Betty Crocker gel coloring)
- Cooking Spray
- Gather 3 medium, microwaveable safe bowls.
- Place 2 cups marshmallows and 1 tbsp butter into each bowl.
- Microwave each bowl for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until marshmallows are melted.
- Stir with a spoon to mix the marshmallows and butter together.
- In one bowl, add in red food coloring until desired shade of color is reached.
- In a different bowl, add in blue food coloring until desired shade of color is reached.
- Add 2 cups cereal to each bowl and mix well.
- At this point, you should have one bowl of red colored cereal, blue colored cereal, and normal (non colored) cereal.
- Grease an 8×8 baking pan.
- Pour blue mixture into pan first. Spray cooking spray on your hands and press into the pan evenly.
- Next, pour in the non colored cereal on top of the blue and press into pan evenly.
- Pour the red cereal on top and again, press into the pan evenly. *You may have to re-spray your hands with each layer
- Allow pan to set up for a least 3 hours and cut into desired size bars!!