Let me first start out by saying that these cinnamon rolls were made exclusively by my hubby. He is Mr. Breakfast whereas me, I am not. I am more of a “grab something quick and go” kind of gal.
This past weekend, he mentioned he was in the mood for homemade cinnamon rolls. Since I had a can of already made cinnamon rolls in the fridge, I suggested we make those and call it good. Well, he wanted the real deal and said he would whip up a batch. Wow am I ever glad he did. Homemade is SO much better then canned! The dough was perfectly fluffy and pumpkin spice filled, the cinnamon filling was amazing, and the cream cheese frosting complimented the rolls perfectly. Paired with a cup of coffee, this was a winner!!
This recipe makes a 9 x 13 baking pan, so about 22 rolls. My hubby made our dough using our bread machine, but if you don’t have one, you can make the dough by hand!! These also freeze perfectly if you want to make them ahead and save them for the upcoming Holidays!!
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg, whisked
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Add the wet ingredients to the bottom of the bread machine pan (egg, buttermilk, and melted butter).
- Next add in the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and pinch of salt.
- Create a small hole in the dry mixture and pour the yeast inside making sure not to allow the yeast to touch the wet ingredients or salt.
- Lock pan into bread machine and turn on dough cycle.
- Once dough is complete, remove from pan and place in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Allow dough to rise for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, remove from bowl and place on a floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until its about the same size as a 9 x 13 pan.
- Spread softened butter evenly over dough, leaving about an inch on all sides.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, followed by the cinnamon on top of the butter.
- Starting with the long side, roll the dough into a tightly wound log.
- Using a knife, make marks evenly onto log to cut 22-24 rolls.
- Using floss (or a sharp knife) follow marks and cut dough.
- Place rolls into a greased 9 x 13 pan. *Rolls will squish into pan perfectly, it is okay for them to be touching
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and place in preheated oven, 375, for about 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While rolls are baking, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and heavy whipping cream.
- Once rolls are done, remove from oven and pour the frosting evenly on top.
- Enjoy while still warm!!
Recipe adapted from: Averie Cooks