For my sister in laws birthday this year, she requested this for her birthday cake. I am a chocolate kind of gal, so I wasn’t too sure about this. Where is the chocolate, right? But, I decided to branch out and try this anyways! The actual cake mix uses pineapple juice in it, and the whipped topping is incredibly flavorful. This cake tastes refreshing, light tasting, and quite tropical. Definitely an amazing summer treat! My mom whipped this up for her birthday celebration and the cake was a huge hit, especially with the kiddos! My son, being the fruit lover he is, ate his piece right up and even picked the orange slice off mine to eat, haha! Whether making this for a birthday, summer picnic/gathering, or just a special treat for your family, this is a winner! This was an occasion where I guess chocolate just was not needed,
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained but keep juice
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 9 oz cool whip
- Chopped Pecans
- Shredded coconut
- Mandarin orange slices
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using pineapple juice and water in place of liquid called for in directions.
- Bake the cake at 350, for about 35 minutes in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Allow cake to cool completely, set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese, instant vanilla pudding, and milk together until smooth.
- Fold in the drained pineapple and spread mixture on top of cooled cake evenly.
- Spread cool whip on top of cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle desired amount of chopped pecans and shredded coconut over cool whip.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- Place one mandarin orange on top of each slice if desired!